Legal & Policy Associate
International Corporate Accountability Roundtable
- Location: Washington, DC
- Closing Date: 16/01/2017
The International Corporate Accountability Roundtable (ICAR) is a civil society organization working to ensure that governments create, implement, and enforce laws and policies to protect against business-related human rights abuse. ICAR challenges governments to engage and lead in the international arena, set conditions in the market, and ensure legal accountability and access to remedy.
The Legal and Policy Associate is responsible for implementing specific ICAR initiatives to build and implement frameworks for the prevention and/or remediation of business-related human rights violations. Specifically, the Associate will contribute to ICAR initiatives related to corruption and remedy frameworks. The Legal and Policy Associate reports to and collaborates with the Legal and Policy Coordinator, Legal and Policy Director, and/or Executive Director.
The Legal and Policy Associate is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Legal Research and Writing
- Conduct in-depth legal research into ICAR initiatives;
- Draft submissions to various government agencies and/or departments;
- Write and edit content for the organization’s website;
- Draft publications and external communications in support of ICAR initiatives;
- Draft memoranda and briefings on key legal questions;
- Analyze bill and proposed regulatory text;
- Assist in high-level advocacy with Congressional, agency and other governmental contacts;
- Develop position statements along agreed upon initiatives;
- Develop advocacy strategies;
- Represent ICAR in various domestic and international fora.
- Project Implementation
- Implement ICAR’s initiatives to build and implement frameworks for the prevention and/or remediation of business-related human rights violations;
- Closely collaborate with partners and consultants;
- Assist with grant writing related to project implementation;
- Implement project budgets.
- Manage and interact with interns, including handling the internship application process;
- Maintain comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date files, records, and systems.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strategy and Planning
- Participate in periodic team wide strategic discussions;
- Participate in organizational strategy and planning processes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Juris Doctor degree required, bar membership strongly preferred;
- 1-4 years of professional work experience in human rights or related field;
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and social justice, with experience in business and human rights advocacy;
- Experience with anti-corruption, land rights and/or remedial frameworks preferred;
- Advocacy experience, including legislative experience, preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent research and writing skills, including ability to edit technical content;
- Familiarity with national and international laws, standards, and processes;
- Enthusiasm for the organization’s mission and initiatives, as well as a passion for building the organization;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and consistently meet deadlines;
- Experience working in coalition-based organizations;
- Highly motivated;
- Computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Office is necessary;
- Confidence and the ability to act proactively, think quickly, and work independently;
- Broad knowledge about human rights and corporate accountability;
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Daily interactions with co-workers;
- Interactions with ICAR members;
- Interactions with government officials;
- Interactions with various agency and department personnel.
- Desk research for periods of time;
- Stand, bend and stretch to access boxes and file cabinets;
- Ability to use mediums of communication include telephone, email, and Skype;
- Ability to access elevator;
- International travel (~35%);
- Domestic travel (~10%).
- Quiet work environment;
- Work from shared office space;
- Computer and printer provided.