Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in United Kingdom
New report looks at reporting progress under the UK Modern Slavery Act; finds need for better enforcement
Author: Ergon Associates
"Modern slavery reporting: Is there evidence of progress?", October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
- Related companies: Aldi Alphabet Apple ASOS Associated British Foods Balfour Beatty British American Tobacco Co-operative Group Google (part of Alphabet) Intel InterContinental Hotels John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Marshalls Morrisons Nestlé Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Rio Tinto Sainsbury's Standard Chartered Ted Baker Tesco TSB Walgreen Whistles
Report by Chartered Institute of Building analyses UK construction industry's response to Modern Slavery Act
Author: Emma Crates, The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
Construction and the Modern Slavery Act: Tackling exploitation in the UK, May 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Modern slavery
- Related companies: Arcadis Balfour Beatty Co-operative Group Coca-Cola Harbin Power Engineering (HPE) (part of Harbin Power Equipment) Hewlett-Packard (see HP) IKEA Land Securities Lend Lease Marks & Spencer Mars Marshalls Sainsbury's Sir Robert McAlpine Skanska Tesco Unilever Vinci Walmart
New report presents 6 case studies on company efforts against modern slavery in construction supply chains
Author: Emma Crates, CIOB
"CIOB calls for cross industry action to tackle modern slavery", 13 Jul 2016...
Author: Oxfam America
Human rights impact assessments (HRIAs) are intended to minimize human rights risks, lessen adverse impacts, and strengthen positive outcomes of business investments on affected populations. For an HRIA to fulfill this purpose, it must consider the...
- Related stories: Oxfam paper suggests fusing community & company-led human rights impact assessments
- Related companies: Aguas Argentinas (now Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos - AySA) Corriente Resources Goldcorp Kuoni Marshalls Meridian Gold Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Nestlé Philip Morris International Total TVI (Toronto Ventures Incorporated) Pacific Vale
Marshalls is disappointed to be referenced in this Report as the company does not source granite paving from this region. Marshalls is also incorrectly reported as ‘non responding’, however a response was issued. Following the publication of the...
- Related stories: India: Report highlights modern slavery & child labour in granite quarries Indien: Arbeitsbedingungen in Steinbrüchen - Fortschritte im Kampf gegen Kinderarbeit trotz anhaltender Herausforderungen
- This is a response from the following companies: Marshalls
Modern slavery is widespread in Indian quarries. Child labour also occurs frequently. Most Dutch importers of Indian granite give no information from which quarries they are sourcing their granite or say they do not know from which quarries the stone...
Author: Subajini Jayasekaran and Chris Kip, UNICEF, in Guardian (UK)
[M]ore than 168 million children are still suffering [in child labour] worldwide...[in sectors including] agriculture, services and manufacturing...[P]oor working conditions [for women] and lack of maternity rights can...[also] directly affect their...
- Related stories: UNICEF on how firms can promote children’s rights in global supply chains
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: IKEA Marshalls Millicom
Author: Samah Abbasi, UNICEF UK, on Guardian Sustainable Business
"The day financial managers got serious about children’s rights", 4 Dec 2014...
Author: Global Compact Network UK
This primer was produced by the Global Compact Network UK to accompany "Assessing human rights impacts: where the rubber hits the road" event held on the 3rd June 2014 at Clifford Chance LLP, London, UK. Speakers from the following companies and...