Member of UN Global Compact
Author: Business & Sustainable Development Commission
"Better Business, Better World", January 2017...
- Related stories: The role of business in implementing the UN Sustainable Development Goals - new reports World Economic Forum Annual Meeting Davos 2017: Businesses need to use their influence to stand up for human rights
- Related companies: Abraaj Capital Aviva BMW Enel Ericsson Mars MAS Holdings Merck Nissan Telefónica Unilever Vodafone
British tabloid The Sun accused Ivy Park, Beyonce's activewear label of cheating its workers by paying them the equivalent of $6.17 a day, per WWD, and contrasted the wages to the cost of Ivy Park leggings, which can retail for up to $144. Ivy Park ...
Author: James Mills, Sun
BEYONCE’S new high street sportswear range for Topshop is made using sweat shop labour earning just £4.30 a day...while Topshop claims it “empowers women through sport”...poverty-stricken seamstresses making some of the clothes in the MAS Holdings ...
- Related stories: Sri Lanka: Beyonce's Ivy Park line allegedly produced in sweatshop - includes response
- Related companies: Arcadia Group MAS Holdings
Author: Global Business Initative
[A] number of themes were raised during the roundtable…When addressing the human rights responsibilities of business – there needs to be a stronger link made to…concerns such as poverty, natural resource use, climate change, conflict and corruption...
- Related stories: Global Business Initiative roundtable on business & human rights in Asia (Delhi, Nov 2009)
- Related companies: ABB Ayala Bank of Ceylon Bharti Airtel BP Brandix Chevron EDF General Electric HP (Hewlett-Packard) HSBC Indian Oil Corporation Jaipur Rugs Jindal MAS Holdings Monsanto (part of Bayer) Pfizer Shell Sime Darby Tata Group Yes Bank
Author: Kathryn Dovey, Director of Global Business Initiative on Human Rights and consultant to Realizing Rights
There is currently a marked absence of gender as an area of intervention or reporting or even as a discussion point within the growing field of business and human rights. This scoping paper seeks to address this gap in analysis and action by providing...
- Related stories: Report on gender consultation by UN Special Representative John Ruggie - held 29 Jun, New York
- Related companies: Dean's Beans MAS Holdings Newmont Goldcorp Rio Tinto
Author: Joint Apparel Association Forum
The Garments Without Guilt campaign, launched by Sri Lanka Apparel, focuses on ethically-made clothing--meaning free of child labour, free of sweatshop conditions and free of forced labour--but they know that being ethical goes hand-in-hand with being...
Author: Global Compact Office, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
The Global Compact Office and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights have announced the release of the second edition in the Embedding Human Rights in Business Practice series. The publication has been produced in the context of the...
- Related stories: "Embedding Human Rights in Business Practice II": New publication by UN Global Compact & OHCHR
- Related companies: ABB AngloGold Ashanti Barloworld BASF Eskom Ketchum L-3 Communications L-3 Titan (part of L-3 Communications) MAS Holdings Newmont Goldcorp Nike Novartis Orano (formerly Areva) Sasol Shell Starbucks Titan Industries (joint venture Tata Group & Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation) Volkswagen Westpac