Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Japan
Author: Simon Lewis, Irrawaddy [Myanmar]
Burma’s Ministry of Energy…announced that it has awarded international firms, mostly from Western nations, 20 areas in its waters to explore for oil and gas…Following the announcement, watchdog groups called for heightened transparency from companies...
[PDF] Summary of discussions of the Forum on Business and Human Rights, prepared by the Chairperson, John Ruggie
Author: Prepared by the Chairperson, John Ruggie
The present document provides a summary of the discussions of the first annual Forum on Business and Human Rights, held on 4 and 5 December 2012. Due to the word limit of the document and the scale of the event (21 substantive sessions), this summary...
- Related stories: Summary of discussions of Forum on Business and Human Rights
- Related in-depth areas: Videos & text of presentations & discussions - UN Forum on Business and Human Rights 2012
- Related companies: ABB Aboitiz Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Flextronics Gazprom Hitachi Jindal Microsoft Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Nedbank Rio Tinto Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell Total UBS Vale Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Andreas Zumach, Deutsche Welle [Germany]
When the UN Human Rights Council passed the [Guiding Principles on Business & Human Rights] in June 2011, that was only the first step...But which concrete measures have been taken over the last 18 months to implement the guidelines? Experts...
- Related in-depth areas: UN Forum on Business & Human Rights 2012 - Coverage & commentaries
- Related companies: Gazprom Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Nestlé Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell
BP has received the biggest criminal penalty in US history after agreeing to pay $4.5bn (£2.8bn) to settle criminal charges related to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster…The settlement with the Department of Justice involves BP pleading guilty to...
This report aims at exploring contemporary mining conflicts in the context of the sustainable development and environmental justice...[T]he project and type of conflict are characterized in a nutshell, with some basic factual background that describe...
- Related stories: EJOLT report explores mining conflicts in context of sustainable development & environmental justice
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Areva Barrick Gold Buenaventura China Railway Construction Codelco Copper Mesa Mining Corriente Resources Dundee Precious Metals DuPont Eco Oro Minerals (formerly Greystar Resources) Ecuacorriente (part of Corriente Resources) Entre Mares (part of Goldcorp) Enusa Glamis Gold (part of Goldcorp) Goldcorp Greystar Resources Grupo México Inmet Mining Marubeni Meridian Gold Minera San Xavier (part of New Gold) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsui Montana Exploradora (part of Goldcorp) New Gold Newmont Nippon Mining Pacific Rim Mining Paladin Energy Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto Rössing Uranium Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Tongling Nonferrous Metals Yamana Gold
Author: Margaret Cronin Fisk & Laurel Brubaker Calkins, Bloomberg
Lawyers for as many as 10,000 potential plaintiffs pursuing claims over BP Plc’s 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill said their clients today will opt out or reject the company’s $7.8 billion settlement reached in March…The agreement, which settled claims...
Author: Allen Johnson Jr., Margaret Cronin, Bloomberg
The first trial over the BP...oil spill will be scheduled for Jan. 14, Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell said. The initial trial date, set for March this year, was postponed when BP and lawyers for private parties reached a $7.8 billion...
- Related stories: US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast Latest Legal News US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits - Consolidated proceedings
- Related companies: Anadarko BP Halliburton Mitsui MOEX (part of Mitsui) Transocean
Author: Joe Schneider, Bloomberg
BP...Transocean...and others involved in the operation of the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, agreed to settle a lawsuit filed by a worker injured in the blast. Oleander Benton, the Deepwater Horizon worker, said in...
Author: Amanda Bronstad, National Law Journal [USA]
Barbier issued a series of orders tightening the scope of the first of what was expected to be three trial phases to a single question: Who is liable for the April 20, 2010, explosion that killed 11 workers and blew a well that spewed 4.4 million...