Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Japan
Author: BBC News
BP has denied claims by one of its partners that its handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill amounted to "gross negligence"...BP said it "strongly disagrees" with Anadarko Petroleum, who said BP's behaviour in the run-up to the disaster was "reckless...
- Related stories: US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast
- Related companies: Anadarko BP Mitsui
[PDF] International Forum - Business And Human Rights - Protect, Respect and Remedy (March 16, 2010, Marriott Grand Hotel, 26, Tverskaya Street, Moscow)
Author: UN Special Representative on the issue of human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises (SRSG)
The [Protect, Respect and Remedy] Framework was welcomed unanimously by the UN Human Rights Council, and endorsed by the major international business associations, individual companies and leading international human rights organizations. The Council...
- Related stories: Russia: Agenda of intl. forum in Moscow to discuss John Ruggie's "Protect, Respect and Remedy" framework
- Related in-depth areas: UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Alcoa Gazprom Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Norilsk Nickel Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell
Author: UN Principles for Responsible Investment
A coalition of global investors from 13 countries, managing over US$2.1 trillion of assets, today added its voice to the increasing calls for better corporate reporting on environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) activities. The...
- Related stories: Coalition of investors say 86 companies participating in UN Global Compact are failing to meet requirements on environmental, social, governance reporting
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Assa Abloy Autostrade Banco Sabadell Bayer Coca-Cola Hellenic Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (now Vale) Deutsche Post Deutsche Telekom Enagás Geberit Henkel Iberia INA Inditex Intesa Sanpaolo Kesko KOGAS (Korea Gas Corporation) MAPFRE Mitsui Nedbank Newmont Nikon (part of Mitsubishi Group) Osaka Gas Pearson Puma Rio Tinto SCA Siemens SK Corporation Standard Chartered Talisman Telefónica Trelleborg Unicredito Italiano (now Unicredit) Vaisala Vale Woongjin Coway Yara
Author: Kang Jian, Arimitsu Ken & William Underwood, Asia Pacific Journal
[I]n October 2009…Nishimatsu Construction…voluntarily agree[d] to compensate Chinese victims of wartime forced labor in Japan after resisting the redress claim for more than a decade…Nishimatsu…set up a trust fund of 250 million yen, or $2.5 million...
Author: Carbon Disclosure Project
Following the increase in the number of CDP signatories, the standard of disclosure over the past seven years since the inception of CDP has increased dramatically... The number of Asian companies responding to CDP 2009 increasedby 39% (51 to 71) from...
- Related stories: Carbon Disclosure Project finds improved disclosure of emissions among world's largest companies - Bayer, BASF, HSBC, Wal-Mart, Chevron lead
- Related companies: 3M A.P. Moller - Maersk ABB Abbott Laboratories Abertis ACS (Brazil-Ukraine) Adobe Systems Aetna AFLAC Ahold Air Liquide Air Products Allergan Allianz Allstate Alstom Altria Amazon.com AmBev (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) América Movil American Electric Power Amgen Anadarko Anglo American Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) Anheuser-Busch InBev ANZ Bank Aon Apache Apple Applied Materials Arcelor Mittal Archer Daniels Midland Assicurazioni Generali AstraZeneca AT&T Aviva AXA BAE Systems Baker Hughes Banco Bradesco Banco do Brasil Banco Itau Bank of America Bank of China Bank of Montreal Bank of New York (part of BNY Mellon) Bank of Nova Scotia Barclays Barrick Gold BASF Baxter International Bayer BB&T BBVA BD (Becton, Dickinson) Beiersdorf Berkshire Hathaway BG Group BHP Billiton BMW BNP Paribas BNY Mellon Boeing Bouygues BP Bridgestone Bristol-Myers Squibb British American Tobacco British Sky Broadcasting BT Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway (BNSF) Cadbury (part of Mondelēz International) Campbell Soup Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) Canadian Natural Resources Canon Capital One Cardinal Carnival Carrefour Caterpillar Central Japan Railway Centrica CEPSA Charles Schwab Chesapeake Energy Cheung Kong Chevron China Construction Bank China Life Insurance China Mobile China Telecom Chubb Group Chubu Electric Power Chunghwa Telecom Cisco Systems Citigroup CLP Holdings CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Coca-Cola Colgate-Palmolive Comcast Commonwealth Bank Con Edison ConocoPhillips Corning Costco Crédit Agricole Credit Suisse CRH (Cement Roadstone Holdings) CSX CVS Daimler Danaher Danone Dell Denso Deutsche Bank Deutsche Boerse Deutsche Post Deutsche Telekom Devon Energy Diageo Diamond Offshore Drilling DirecTV Dominion Resources Dow Chemical Duke Energy DuPont E.ON EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space) East Japan Railway eBay EDF Edison International Eli Lilly EMC Emerson Electric Enbridge EnCana Enel Eni Entergy EOG Resources Ericsson Exelon ExxonMobil FedEx FirstEnergy Fortum FPL Group France Telecom (now Orange) Franklin Templeton Freeport-McMoRan Fresenius Medical Care Fuji Photo Film Gas Natural Gazprom GDF Suez Genentech General Dynamics General Electric General Mills Genzyme Gilead Sciences GlaxoSmithKline Goldcorp Goldman Sachs Google Grupo México H&M Halliburton Hang Seng Bank Heineken Heinz Hermès Hess Corporation Hitachi Holcim Home Depot Hon Hai Honda Honeywell Hong Kong Electric HP (Hewlett-Packard) HSBC Hutchison Whampoa Iberdrola IBM Illinois Tool Works Imperial Oil Imperial Tobacco Inditex Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Infosys ING INPEX Intel Intesa Sanpaolo Jardine Matheson John Deere Johnson & Johnson Johnson Controls JPMorgan Chase Kansai Electric Power (KEPCO) Kao KBC KDDI Kellogg's Kimberly-Clark Kinross Gold Kohl's Komatsu Korea Electric Power (KEPCO) Kraft Foods Kroger Kyocera L'Oreal Lafarge Linde Lloyds TSB Lockheed Martin Loews Lorillard Tobacco (part of Carolina Group) Lowe's Lukoil LVMH Manulife Financial Marathon Oil Maroc Telecom MasterCard McDonald's Medtronic Merck Merrill Lynch (part of Bank of America) Metlife Metro Group Microsoft Millea Mitsubishi Electric (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsubishi UFJ Mitsui Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance (part of Sumitomo Group) Mizuho Bank (part of Mizuho Financial Group) Monsanto Morgan Stanley Morrisons MTN MTR Munich Re National Australia Bank National Grid Nestlé Newmont News Corporation Nexen Nike Nintendo Nippon Steel Nissan Nokia Nomura Nordea Bank Norfolk Southern Norilsk Nickel Northrop Grumman Novartis Novatek Novo Group Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) NTPC NTT Data Nucor OCBC Bank Occidental Petroleum ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Oracle Panasonic Paychex PepsiCo Pernod Ricard Petro-Canada (part of Suncor) Petrobras PetroChina Pfizer PG&E PNC Financial Services Posco PotashCorp PPL Praxair Procter & Gamble Progress Energy Progressive Insurance Prudential Financial PTT Public Service Enterprise Group QBE Insurance Raytheon Reckitt Benckiser Reed Elsevier Group Reliance Industries Repsol YPF Research In Motion (now BlackBerry) Resona Reynolds American Rio Tinto Roche Rohm & Haas (part of Dow Chemical) Rosneft Royal Bank of Canada Royal Bank of Scotland Royal Philips Electronics RWE SABMiller Saint-Gobain Samsung Sanofi-Aventis Santander SAP Sasol Schering-Plough Schlumberger Schneider Electric Scottish and Southern Energy Sempra Energy Seven & i Shin-Etsu Group Siemens Simon Property Singapore Telecommunications Sinopec Société Générale Softbank Sony Southern Company Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Spectra Energy Standard Bank Standard Chartered Staples State Bank of India State Street Statoil Sumitomo Group Sumitomo Metal Industries (part of Sumitomo Group) Sumitomo Mitsui Banking (part of Sumitomo Group) Sun Hung Kai Properties Sun Life Financial Suncor SunTrust Banks Surgutneftegas Swiss Re Syngenta Sysco Takeda Pharmaceutical Talisman Target Tata Consultancy Services (part of Tata Group) Tata Group Telecom Italia Telefónica TeliaSonera Telstra Tesco Teva Pharmaceutical Texas Instruments Thomson Reuters ThyssenKrupp Time Warner Tohoku Electric Power Tokio Marine & Nichido (part of Millea) Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Tokyo Gas Toronto-Dominion Bank Toshiba Total Toyota Transcanada Transocean Turkcell Tyco UBS Unicredito Italiano (now Unicredit) Unilever Unión Fenosa (now Gas Natural) Union Pacific United Technologies UnitedHealth Group UPS US Bancorp Vale Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Verizon Vinci Vivendi Volkswagen Wachovia (part of Wells Fargo) Wal-Mart de Mexico (Walmex) Walgreen Walmart Walt Disney Waste Management Wellpoint Wells Fargo Westpac Wilmar International Woolworths Limited Wyeth (part of Pfizer) Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata) XTO Energy (part of ExxonMobil) Yahoo! YUM! Zurich
[DOC] Launch of project by the UN SRSG on business and human rights to pilot principles for company-level grievance mechanisms
Author: UN Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on business and human rights, John Ruggie
The...SRSG is delighted to announce the launch of a pilot project to test the Principles for non-judicial, company-level mechanisms set out in his 2008 and 2009 reports...The Principles require that such mechanisms be: legitimate, accessible,...
- Related in-depth areas: UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Anglo American BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Esquel Gazprom HP (Hewlett-Packard) Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell Tesco Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Sudeep Chakravarti, Root Cause column, on Livemint.com [India]
There was a flap in...July when human rights battleaxes...cut into Vedanta Plc in London...In the contentious, increasingly relevant universe where business, human rights, tradition and emotion intersect with urgency, this is a big deal...Vedanta has...
- Related stories: Vedanta Resources lawsuit (re Dongria Kondh in Orissa)
- Related in-depth areas: India
- Related companies: Mitsui Vedanta Resources
Author: David Glovin, Bloomberg News
Mitsui & Co., Japan’s second-largest trading company, and its U.S. unit were accused in a former employee’s discrimination lawsuit of denying non-Asian workers equal pay and promotional opportunities. Andrew Van Etten…claims widespread...