Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal)
Headquarters in Netherlands
Author: Paul Lewis, International Herald Tribune
Policy makers galvanized by recent proposals...calling for a fast and substantial reduction in global poverty should consider...[the] remarkable transformation in the space of just 15 years [in] post-Communist Eastern Europe. Crucial to its success...
Author: Press Trust of India (PTI)
Tribal outfits and political parties in mineral-rich Kolhan region of Jharkhand are up in arms against development projects,...fearing they would result in large scale displacement of inhabitants and loss of their sources of livelihood... According to...
Author: People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), Orissa [India]
By not conferring the tenancy rights upon the local people over the land, which has been in their possession at the time of Estate abolition in 1951, successive governments have deprived the people of their legal rights over land and livelihood...The...
- Related stories: India: At least 12 killed in Orissa when police open fire on tribal people protesting construction of Tata Steel plant
- Related companies: Jindal Maithan Group Maithan Ispat (part of Maithan Group) Mideast Integrated Steel (MESCO) Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal) Neelachal Ispat Nigam Tata Group Tata Iron and Steel (TISCO) (part of Tata Group) Visa Group Visa Steel (part of Visa Group)
Author: Amnesty International
Discrimination in employment...has been endemic and has affected large sectors of society. It continues to deny tens of thousands of people from ethnic minorities their rights to work, social care and education. The report calls on the authorities and...
Author: Amnesty International
...[Discrimination] continues to be one of the most serious obstacles to the return of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs). This report focuses on the continuing discrimination against workers from ethnic minorities, including in equal...
- Related stories: Bosnia & Herzegovina: Amnesty Intl. report finds widespread employment discrimination is obstacle to return of refugees - refers to Aluminij, New Ljubija Mines (joint venture Mittal Steel & RŽR Ljubija)
- Related in-depth areas: Bosnia & Herzegovina NGO Racial/ethnic/caste/origin discrimination - an introduction
- Related companies: Aluminij ConocoPhillips DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) Fiat Glencore (now Glencore Xstrata) Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal) Norsk Hydro (now part of Statoil) Vitinka
Mittal Steel response to Amnesty Intl. report "Bosnia and Herzegovina – Behind closed gates: ethnic discrimination in employment"
Author: Mittal Steel
Mittal Steel is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on any basis. We hire people for their skill and that is the only consideration. However, we are aware of the complexity around ethnic lines in Bosnia & Herzogovina and ...
- Related stories: Amnesty Netherlands report on workplace discrimination - includes recommendations for companies Bosnia & Herzegovina: Amnesty Intl. report finds widespread employment discrimination is obstacle to return of refugees - refers to Aluminij, New Ljubija Mines (joint venture Mittal Steel & RŽR Ljubija)
- This is a response from the following companies: Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal)
Author: Nick Hawton, BBC News
Plans to build a memorial at the site of a notorious concentration camp of the Bosnian war have been suspended after the main sponsor pulled out. Hundreds of Muslim and Croat prisoners were tortured and killed by Bosnian Serb guards during 1992 at the...
- Related companies: Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal)
[DOC] Legal Issues in the Mineral Development Agreement Between the Government of the Republic of Liberia and Mittal Steel Holdings
Author: Columbia Law School Human Rights Clinic [USA]
Contracts between sovereign states and private corporations (“Host Government Agreements” or “HGA”)...may...pose particular problems for democratic accountability and human rights... HGAs should not curb a government’s ability to exercise legitimate...
- Related stories: Liberia: Global Witness says Govt's US$900 million deal with Mittal Steel constrains regulation & enforcement on human rights & environmental issues, inadequately limits firm's security force
- Related companies: Anglo American BHP Billiton Bridgestone Bridgestone-Firestone (part of Bridgestone) Firestone Natural Rubber (part of Bridgestone) Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal) Rio Tinto
Mexico's environment ministry (SEMARNAT) has recognized 15 major companies for publicly reporting their greenhouse gas emissions through a voluntary public-private initiative known as the Mexico Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Program... The companies being...
- Related stories: Mexican Govt. recognises 15 major companies for publicly reporting greenhouse gas emissions, including Cemex, Pemex, Ford de México, Grupo Modelo, Holcim, Mittal, Altos Hornos
- Related companies: Altos Hornos de México Cementos Portland Moctezuma (part of Corporación Moctezuma) Cemex Cooperativa La Cruz Azul Corporación Moctezuma Ford Grupo Cementos de Chihuahua Grupo Modelo Holcim Holcim Apasco (part of Holcim) Mittal Steel (part of Arcelor Mittal) Pemex Siderúrgica Tultitlán Sumitomo Group Villacero