Headquarters in United Kingdom
Author: Felicity Lawrence, Guardian [UK]
British supermarkets were under renewed pressure to clean up abuses in their supply chains yesterday as a Guardian investigation revealed that 40 Bulgarians found by the authorities to be illegally employed and exploited by a gangmaster in Cornwall...
Author: Christian Aid
[refers to Barclays, HSBC, Royal Bank of Scotland, Shell, BP, BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, Xstrata, Marks & Spencer, Asda (part of Wal-Mart), Tesco, Waitrose, Morrison, Sainsbury]
- Related stories: Christian Aid says accounting for carbon emissions by UK companies abroad would raise UK's share of global total from 2 to 15 percent - calls for mandatory disclosure
- Related companies: Barclays BHP Billiton BP Marks & Spencer Morrisons Rio Tinto Sainsbury Shell Tesco Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership) Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Julia Finch & John Vidal, Guardian [UK]
Supermarket chain Tesco pledged last night to revolutionise its business to become "a leader in helping to create a low-carbon economy" with a raft of new measures to help combat climate change. In the most significant step announced yesterday, the...
Some are short, others long, but critics say FTSE 100 CSR reviews are nothing more than corporate spin [UK]
Author: Andy Favell, The Independent [UK]
...nearly a fifth of the UK's top public companies are still failing to deliver comprehensive reports detailing the economic, environmental and social impact of their business. [also refers to BHP Billiton, Reuters, Wolseley, Alliance UniChem,...
Author: Barrie Clement, Independent
The supermarket group Wm Morrison faces legal action for sex discrimination after allegedly offering a largely female group of workers one-third of the redundancy money being paid to a workforce dominated by men...[also refers to Safeway (part of...
Author: Rachel Stevenson, Independent
Gap is now a member of the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI), a body made up of companies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and trade unions. Nike...is in discussions to join...But while most of the UK high street has agreed to the ETI's ethical...
[refers to BASF, Bayer, Dow, DuPont, Monsanto, Syngenta, Chiquita, Dole, Archer Daniels Midland, Barry Callebaut, Cargill, Fyffes, ADM, Cargill, Zen Noh, Unilever, Nestlé, Tyson, Wal-Mart, Tesco, Asda (part of Wal-Mart), Safeway (part of Morrisons),...
- Related stories: ActionAid report says food multinationals "threaten fight against poverty" (refers to Nestlé, Unilever, Monsanto, Parmalat, Cargill, Wal-Mart, others)
- Related companies: Archer Daniels Midland ASDA (part of Walmart) Barry Callebaut BASF Bayer Booz Allen Hamilton British American Tobacco Cargill Carrefour Chiquita Dole Morrisons PepsiCo Safeway UK (part of Morrisons) Sainsbury Syngenta Tesco Tyson Unilever Walmart
Author: Ethical Trading Initiative - Temporary Labour Working Group
The TLWG [Temporary Labour Working Group] – which includes leading retailers Waitrose [part of John Lewis Partnership], Marks & Spencers, Tesco, Somerfield, Sainsburys, Morrisons, the Co-operative Group and Asda [part of Wal-Mart], the Fresh...
- Related stories: UK: Group of trade unions & retailers (incl. Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Sainsbury) launch Code of Practice & report on labour standards in agricultural sector
- Related companies: ASDA (part of Walmart) Co-operative Group John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Morrisons Sainsbury Somerfield Tesco Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership) Walmart