Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in South Africa
Author: Trend News Agency
Huawei Technologies…a Chinese telecom giant, filled the vacuum created in Iran's government-controlled mobile-phone industry when Western companies pulled back…in 2009…Huawei recently signed a contract to install equipment for a system at Iran's...
Author: Maria Prandi and Josep M. Lozano (eds.), Escola de Cultura de Pau & ESADE: Institute for Social Innovation
[T]here are significant experiences of companies that are participating in peace-building in numerous...
- Related stories: Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) Report examines corporate social responsibility in conflict & post-conflict environments
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace Peacebuilding
- Related companies: Amanco (part of Mexichem) BP Éxito [part of Groupe Casino] Heineken Lonrho Lundin Petroleum Mexichem Microsoft MTN Myanmar Oil & Gas Enterprise (MOGE) Pavco (part of Mexichem) Shell Total
Author: Joan Tilouine, Radio France Internationale
Le réseau [mobile] a donné naissance à une plateforme d’innovation pour le développement économique de l’Afrique et la lutte contre la pauvreté...Aujourd’hui, le mobile permet d’apporter des services bancaires, administratifs, médicaux, scolaires,...
In response to a call from UNHCR [UN High Commissioner for Refugees] to "do 1 thing" to support refugees, Ericsson…is leading an industry initiative to use technology as a force for good in support of the refugee cause…Ericsson, Refugees United and...
United Against Malaria Honors Campaign Advocates from African Football and Enterprise on World Malaria Day
Author: United Against Malaria
Today on World Malaria Day, the United Against Malaria (UAM) campaign, under the Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Partnership, recognized leaders from Africa's football (soccer) and corporate spheres for their role in bringing malaria control messages to more...
Author: Kathryn McConnachie, ITWeb
Swazi MTN, a subsidiary of African mobile giant MTN, has been accused of colluding with the Swazi royal family and limiting connectivity and access to Facebook Mobile...The Swaziland Solidarity Network (SSN) has issued a statement saying that since...
- Related stories: Swaziland: MTN accused of colluding with govt. to slow phone & Internet communications, impede protests
- Related companies: MTN
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This briefing highlights reports from a range of sources about how businesses have impacted human rights, positively and negatively, in Anglophone Africa over the past year... [Headings:] Examples of the “resource curse” ...HIV/AIDS and TB...Dams:...
- Related stories: New briefing on business & human rights in Anglophone Africa, by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
- Related companies: Accor AGIP (part of Eni) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold Best Western Bridgestone Bridgestone-Firestone (part of Bridgestone) Carlson Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Collum Coal Mining Daimler De Beers DLH (Dalhoff Larsen & Horneman) Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Eni Ericsson ExxonMobil Firestone Natural Rubber (part of Bridgestone) Ford General Motors Hess Corporation Hilton Hyatt IBM InterContinental Hotels Lahmeyer Marathon Oil Marks & Spencer Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) Microsoft MTN New Reclamation Newmont NH Hoteles Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Rapaport Group Red Back Mining Rheinmetall Richemont SABMiller Salini Impregilo Shell Starwood Hotels Total Tullow Oil Vanco Energy Walmart Wilderness Safaris Zain Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)
Author: Robert Kropp, Social Funds
...[I]nvestor members of CRN [Conflict Risk Network] sent letters to telecommunications and oil and gas companies operating in Sudan, "calling on them…to ensure they do not infringe on human rights" as the country prepares for the January referendum.....
- Related stories: Sudan: Investors call on companies to ensure they are not complicit in human rights abuses in the run up to January referendum
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: Boston Common Asset Mgmt. China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) MTN PetroChina Zain
Author: UN News Centre
The United Nations refugee agency is backing a pilot project to use a mobile telephone application to help locate and reconnect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Uganda with their families. The project will enable refugees to use...