Responding department: Foreign Economic Relations Department
Has your government undertaken new business & human rights initiatives or strengthened existing ones since the endorsement of the UN Guiding Principles in June 2011?
What are the top 5 priority issues that your government has taken steps to address since June 2011?
Types of company impacts prioritised:
- Health (including environmental health, workplace health & safety)
- Forced labour & trafficking
- Impacts on children, including child labour
- Migrant workers
Actions taken include:
- Legislative or constitutional
- State finance such as export credit agencies, other government loans or guarantees
- Company reporting requirements on human rights
- Investment & trade treaties
Which factors impede your government’s ability to take action on business and human rights?
Most important factor:
- Opposition by economic interest groups or business associations
- Challenges of coordinating across government departments
- Lack of resources for enforcement, monitoring and prosecution
- Opposition or lack of consensus within government
- Other opposition by infulential people or groups outside government
- Political limitations imposed by foreign governments or multilateral institutions
- Concern about deterring foreign investment
- Lack of understanding or awareness of business & human rights in government