Author: Sam Biddle, The Intercept
"Shutterstock employees fight company’s new Chinese search blacklist”, 7 November 2019...
China reportedly asks Daryl Morey to be fired, but NBA Commissioner says "no chance that's happening"
Author: NBC News
“China asked NBA to fire Houston's Morey, commissioner says: We said 'no chance'”, 18 Oct 2019...
- Related stories: NBA Commissioner defends free speech amidst controversies over tweet supporting Hong Kong protests
- Related companies: NBA
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg defends content moderation policies while criticizing TikTok's censorship
Author: Business Insider
“Mark Zuckerberg just slammed China for allegedly censoring Hong Kong protest videos on TikTok: 'Is that the internet we want?'”, 18 October 2019...
In October 2019, Daryl Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets, expressed his support for the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong on Twitter. After Morey’s tweet was published, NBA said as an initial response in a statement that it recognized...
Author: South China Morning Post (Hong Kong)
“Apple CEO Tim Cook defends decision to remove Hong Kong maps app in memo to staff:”, 11 Oct 2019...
- Related stories: Apple removes Hong Kong police-tracking app, saying it could “endanger law enforcement and residents” Hong Kong: Business actions and statements over controversial extradition bill
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights
- Related companies: Apple Google (part of Alphabet) NBA
Author: CNN Business
“Apple removes Quartz app in China”, 10 Oct 2019...
Author: CNN Business
"China won't show NBA preseason games as backlash over Hong Kong tweet grows", 8 Oct 2019...
New CEO activism: business leaders are defending rights by raising awareness & leveraging economic power
Author: Aaron K. Chatterji & Michael W. Toffel, Harvard Business Review (USA)
"The New CEO Activists", January 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and human rights - advances by business
- Related companies: 21st Century Fox Angie's List Apple CNBC (part of Comcast) Disney (see Walt Disney) Hobby Lobby IBM Lyft NBA Netflix New York Times Oracle Salesforce.com Twitter Under Armour
Author: Antonio Zappulla, Thomson Reuters Foundation News (UK)
"To advance LGBT rights, companies must think "glocally"", 12 Jan 2017...
- Related stories: Positive action by companies to protect civic freedoms
- Related in-depth areas: Positive initiatives by businesses to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: adidas Apple BP NBA Starbucks Uber
Companies face risk of litigation if they fail to make their website accessible for people with disabilities
Author: Jonathon Hensley, Guardian (UK)
“The high cost of digital discrimination: why companies should care about web accessibility”, 31 Dec 2015...