Headquarters in South Africa
Author: New Zimbabwe
Insurance giant Old Mutual Plc, has announced that it reviewing its stake in scrap metal recycler New Reclamation Group Ltd which partnered the Zimbabwe government in mining diamonds in Marange...“We are aware that Reclamation recently engaged with...
Author: Avi Krawitz, Rappaport/Diamonds.net
Zimbabwe has ordered Mbada Diamond Mining and Canadile Miners to stop mining at the Marange diamond fields, the state-run Sunday Mail reported. The companies, which were awarded contracts to mine the fields in November in partnership with the Zimbabwe...
Author: Nelson Banya, Reuters Africa
Zimbabwe's government on Thursday halted the sale of diamonds from its controversial Marange fields, saying the process would only go ahead under international supervision... Thankful Musukutwa, permanent secretary in the mines ministry...said the...
Author: Tony Hawkins, Financial Times
In a controversial move Zimbabwe on Thursday launched its first public auction of diamonds from the disputed Chiadzwa diamond fields. The auction, announced by Mbada Diamonds, a joint venture between the government-owned Zimbabwe Mining Development...
- Related stories: Zimbabwe Govt. halts sale of diamonds from Marange fields, site of abuses
- Related companies: African Consolidated Resources De Beers Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)
[PDF] Partnership Africa Canada report: Diamonds and Clubs - The Militarized Control of Diamonds and Power in Zimbabwe
Author: Partnership Africa Canada
The story of Zimbabwe’s contested diamond fields is about many things: smuggling and frontier hucksterism; a scramble fuelled by raw economic desperation and unfathomable greed; and, of course, heart-wrenching cases of government-sponsored repression...
- Related stories: Report criticises Kimberley Process for failing to act on crisis in Zimbabwe Diamond industry
- Related companies: Marange Resources (part of Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)
Author: Global Witness
This report is an update on the situation in Marange. It calls on the Kimberley Process to take urgent and decisive action to address Zimbabwe’s non-compliance with the scheme’s rules, bring to an end the violence and corruption in the Marange diamond...
Author: Arthur Bright, Christian Science Monitor
Zimbabwe reentered the legal diamond market this week with Tuesday's $72 million sale of 900,000 carats of the gems. The sale was supervised by an international 'blood diamond' watchdog group amid ongoing allegations that the Zimbabwean military is...
- Related stories: Zimbabwe sells diamonds from Marange fields, site of alleged abuses, with approval from Kimberley Process
- Related in-depth areas: Alleged abuses Case examples Latest news on conflict & peace Sourcing from conflict zones
- Related companies: Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation Rapaport Group Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)
Author: Claire Adler, Financial Times
The celebrity-studded war crimes trial of…Charles Taylor…has turned the world’s attention back to conflict diamonds…Now, troubles in Zimbabwe’s diamond sector have sparked a debate…about the future of the Kimberley Process…“The Kimberley Process has...