New reports: Risks to migrant workers in Gulf hospitality & construction
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre have today released two new reports looking at how companies are dealing with risks to migrant workers in the Gulf.
- 10/17 companies fail to show how they tackle risks to migrant workers in Qatar and the UAE
- Only 3/7 respondents explain how they ensure suppliers in Qatar and the UAE meet their human rights standards
- Only one company (Hilton) reports checking the human rights standards of its hotel property owners in these countries
- 71% of construction companies in Qatar and the UAE fail to show how they tackle risks to migrant workers.
- Just 39% of companies have a public commitment to human rights.
- Only three companies (Besix, Multiplex and Vinci/QDVC) explained how they check subcontractors pay workers on time and in full.
- No companies report an explicit policy for protecting workers from heat stress.