New Sector Standards Manager at GoodWeave International
About the Organization:
GoodWeave works to stop child labor in the carpet industry and to replicate its market-based approach in other sectors. GoodWeave fulfills its mission by creating market demand for rugs bearing its best-in-class certification label, monitoring supply chains, rescuing and educating child laborers, and providing critical services for weaving families. The organization is growing, expanding operations on the ground in India, Nepal and Afghanistan while also expanding into new product markets. GoodWeave is piloting initial work in the brick sector in Nepal while analyzing potential new sectors for future expansion. Being a part of the GoodWeave team is to be on the frontlines of the burgeoning social entrepreneur and humanitarian business movements.
The New Sector Standards Manager has primary responsibility for overseeing GoodWeave’s participation in the Better Brick Nepal (BBN) initiative, which seeks to create a market preference for a “better brick” such that buyers of these bricks are assured of more ethical and high-quality production. The initiative, supported by Humanity United, is a collaboration between GoodWeave, Global Fairness Initiative and Brick Clean Network. The New Sector Standards Manager will also provide oversight to other related GoodWeave programs and initiatives. This position reports to the Deputy Director and works closely with GoodWeave’s field teams in both Nepal and India, while drawing from the expertise of an existing pool of technical experts with experience in standards setting and certification. The position will also work closely with GoodWeave’s Standards and Certification Systems Officer. The New Sector Standards Manager will ensure that BBN program objectives are achieved and that learnings are integrated and shared within the GoodWeave team. Periodic travel to the field will be required.
Specific Duties Include:
- Develop and implement work plans to meet GoodWeave’s Better Brick Nepal (BBN) program objectives including the formalization of the BBN certification system.
- Closely coordinate the work of the GoodWeave Nepal national inspections unit to ensure that kiln audits are being conducted in accordance with program work plans
- Coordinate the refinement of verification methodologies as well as documentation and analysis of audit findings.
- Lead the process to refine the BBN Standard as needed in coordination with GoodWeave’s Standards and Certification Systems Officer and BBN Standards Committee;
- Guide the development of policies and procedures for child, forced and bonded labor remediation and rehabilitation.
- Identify needs for and coordinate the provision of technical assistance for brick producers to meet certification standards.
- Prepare donor updates and reports following provided guidelines.
- Oversee additional programs and other initiatives as needed.
- Provide general backstopping and troubleshooting support to field teams through their growth and expansion.
- Coordinate project-related travel.
- Supervise consultants and volunteers.
Experience and Qualifications:
- A passion for GoodWeave’s mission, with a commitment to market-based approaches for achieving social goals.
- Strong knowledge of voluntary standards, auditing methodologies and certification systems.
- Strong IT literacy and interest.
- Minimum 5-8 years of demonstrated success in international development.
- Experience in program management and program monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication, writing and public speaking skills.
- Initiative and independence, combined with the ability to work well in a team and manage and mentor other staff.
- A bachelor's degree.
Experience with issues of child labor, sustainable production, socially responsible business, international business and/or knowledge of the South Asian region a plus. Candidate must thrive in an autonomous, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and be able to work within multi- stakeholder groups to achieve consensus.
Conditions of Employment:
GoodWeave is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. Employment is contingent on the results of a background investigation and positive references.
Compensation and benefits:
Compensation is commensurate with experience. GoodWeave offers a health care and dental plan, a simple 401K retirement plan, paid vacation and nine paid holidays per year.
Reports to: Deputy Director
To apply, please email resume, cover letter and salary requirement to:
Mr. Mike Ingenthron
Director of Finance and Operations
2001 S Street, NW, Suite 510
Washington, DC 20009
E-mail: [email protected]
Job title: New Sector Standards Manager
Location: Washington, DC
Closing date: Rolling application