Kenya: Private hospitals allegedly inflating medical bills for Covid-19 patients; industry association responds
Author: John Muchangi, The Star (Kenya)
"How hospitals rip off Covid-19 patients"...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
Brazil: Report says that bauxite mining company MRN causes damage to biodiversity and Afro-descendent way of life
“Life among the turtles: Traditional people struggle inside an Amazon reserve” – 10 August 2020 ...
- Related in-depth areas: Extractive industries
Colombia: Corporate and government corruption contributes to widespread malnutrition in Wayuu Indigenous communities, according to HRW
Author: Human Rights Watch
“Colombia: Indigenous Kids at Risk of Malnutrition, Death” – 13 August 2020...
Americas: UN urges governments to strengthen, not weaken, environmental protection during the pandemic
Author: United Nations
"The Americas: Governments should strengthen, not weaken, environmental protection during COVID-19 pandemic", 13th August 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response
Facebook, Google & other tech companies work with govt. agencies to prevent disinformation & interference in US 2020 presidential election
Author: Mike Isaac & Kate Conger, The New York Times
"Google, Facebook and others broaden group to secure U.S. election," 12 Aug 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom USA: 2020 Presidential election, business & human rights
Author: Paresh Dave, Reuters
"Google faces lawsuit over tracking in apps even when users opted out," 14 July 2020...
Venezuela: National Assembly investigates oil spill as opposition suspects state oil company, PDVSA is behind it
"Venezuela's National Assembly investigates oil spill", 13th August 2020...
- Related companies: PDVSA (Petróleos de Venezuela)
Ecuador: NGO alleges that Chevron-Texaco oil spill, climate change, and pandemic compound inequities put Indigenous peoples at risk
Author: The Real News
“Climate, crude, and COVID devastate Ecuador’s Amazon” – 11 August 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response Extractives, including oil and mines
- Related companies: Chevron Texaco (part of Chevron)
Ecuador: NGO report says that ING, Credit Suisse, Natixis, BNP Paribas, UBS, and Rabobank threaten Amazon Indigenous through oil investment
“Exclusive: European banks face indigenous calls to end Amazon oil trade” – 11 August 2020...
Author: Samir Salama, Gulf News
"COVID-19: 57 Riyadh businesses fined for breaking labour rules, 90 warned," 11 Aug 2020...