Guidance by governments and government bodies
Oil & Gas Sector Guide on Implementing the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights [PDF]
Author and date: Published by European Commission; developed by Institute for Human Rights and Business, and Shift
Guidance by NGOs
- [PDF] "Community –company grievance resolution: A guide for the Australian mining industry"
- Author and date: Oxfam Australia, May 2009
- "Mining & Health: A Community-Centred Health Assessment Toolkit"
- Author and date: Mining Watch Canada, Nov 2009
- "Breaking Ground: Engaging Communities in Extractive and Infrastructure Projects"
- Includes "Principles for Effective Community Engagement"
- Author: World Resources Institute
- [PDF] "Conflict sensitive business practices – guidance for the extractive industries"
- Author and date: International Alert (developed in partnership with UN Global Compact and Intl. Institute for Sustainable Development), 2005
- [PDF] "Protecting Your Community Against Mining Companies And Other Extractive Industries: A Guide For Community Organizers"
- Author and date: Carlos Zorrilla, with Arden Buck, Paula Palmer and David Pellow, 2009
- [PDF] "Free, prior and informed consent: The role of mining companies"
- Author and date: Oxfam Australia, Oct 2007
- [PDF] "Women, communities and mining: The gender impacts of mining and the role of gender impact assessment"
- Author and date: Oxfam Australia, 2009
Guidance and toolkits by industry and multi-stakeholder associations
- Integrating human rights into environmental, social and health impact assessments. A practical guide for the oil and gas industry. IPIECA, Danish Institute for Human Rights (DIHR), Dec 2013
- Preventing Conflict In Exploration: a Toolkit for Explorers and Developers
Corporate Engagement Project, World Vision Canada, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, May 2012
- "Human Rights in the Mining and Metals Industry: Overview, Management Approach and Issues"
- Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, May 2009
- "Human Rights Training Toolkit for the Oil and Gas Industry"
- Author: International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association (IPIECA), 2014
- [PDF] "Human Rights in the Mining & Metals Industry – Handling and Resolving Local Level Concerns & Grievances"
- Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, Oct 2009
- "Good Practice Guidance on Occupational Health Risk Assessment"
- Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, 2010
- "[PDF] Leadership Matters: Managing Fatal Risk Guidance"
Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, Apr 2010
- "Initiative for responsible mining assurance"
- Participants include mining companies, jewellery retailers, NGOs and trade associations
- "[PDF] Good Practice Guide: Indigenous Peoples and Mining"
Author and date: Intl. Council on Mining & Metals, Oct 2010
- "Oil & Gas Industry Guidance on Voluntary Sustainability Reporting"
- Author and date: IPIECA; API; OGP, Sep 2015
- "[PDF] HIV/AIDS Resource Guide for the Mining Sector"
- Author and date: IFC, 2002
Guidance by companies
- Anglo American: "SEAT – Socio-Economic Assessment Toolbox"
- Rio Tinto: "Human Rights Guidance"
- Rio Tinto: "[PDF] Why gender matters - A resource guide for integrating gender considerations into Communities work at Rio Tinto"
- Talisman: (written by Foley Hoag, commissioned by Talisman): "Implementing a Corporate Free, Prior, and Informed Consent Policy: Benefits and Challenges"
Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Voluntary Principles on Security & Human Rights
- [PDF] Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights: Implementation Guidance Tools
- Author and date: Intl. Council on Mining & Metals, Intl. Committee of the Red Cross, Intl. Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association, Intl. Finance Corporation, 2011
- [PDF] "Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights: Performance Indicators"
- Author and date: International Alert, Jun 2008
- [PDF] "The Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights: An Implementation Toolkit for Major Project Sites"
- Author and date: Don McFetridge - Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, Japan Environmental and Social Challenges Fund, Anvil Mining, Jul 2008
Related stories and components
Author: Andy Home, Reuters
"Congo's move to control artisanal cobalt is double-edged: Andy Home", 10 February 2020....
Author: John Odyek, New Vision
"Uganda to begin certifying conflict minerals", 13 February 2020....
Author: Jonathan Watts, The Guardian
Oil and gas firms 'have had far worse climate impact than thought', 19 February 2020....
International Council on Mining and Metals updates company membership requirements with stronger social and environmental standards
Author: Matthew Hall, Mining Technology
"ICMM updates membership requirements for mining companies", 13 February 2020....
Author: AFP et TVA Nouvelles
« Réouverture de la mine d'or canadienne fermée après une attaque », 6 février 2020....
Author: Reuters & The Guardian
"Brazil's Bolsonaro unveils bill to allow commercial mining on indigenous land", 6 February 2020....
Author: AFP et Le Monde de l'Energie
« Pétrole dans l'Arctique: les ONG perdent un nouveau procès en Norvège », 23 janvier 2020....
Training template addresses responsible sourcing in large-scale mines, smelters & refiners through capacity building
Author: CSR Europe
"Responsible Sourcing, New Materials Available to Tackle Capacity Building in Mining", 28 Jan 2020...
Zambia: 131 miners stranded underground during repair work at Konkola Copper Mines; including provisional liquidator's comments
Author: Daniel Chansa, News Diggers
"131 miners stranded underground at KCM after power trip out", 23 December 2019....
- Related in-depth areas: Extractives Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources
- Related companies: Konkola Copper Mines (joint venture Vedanta Resources, Zambia Copper Investments & ZCCM Investments) Vedanta Resources