Guidance by governments and government bodies
Oil & Gas Sector Guide on Implementing the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights [PDF]
Author and date: Published by European Commission; developed by Institute for Human Rights and Business, and Shift
Guidance by NGOs
- [PDF] "Community –company grievance resolution: A guide for the Australian mining industry"
- Author and date: Oxfam Australia, May 2009
- "Mining & Health: A Community-Centred Health Assessment Toolkit"
- Author and date: Mining Watch Canada, Nov 2009
- "Breaking Ground: Engaging Communities in Extractive and Infrastructure Projects"
- Includes "Principles for Effective Community Engagement"
- Author: World Resources Institute
- [PDF] "Conflict sensitive business practices – guidance for the extractive industries"
- Author and date: International Alert (developed in partnership with UN Global Compact and Intl. Institute for Sustainable Development), 2005
- [PDF] "Protecting Your Community Against Mining Companies And Other Extractive Industries: A Guide For Community Organizers"
- Author and date: Carlos Zorrilla, with Arden Buck, Paula Palmer and David Pellow, 2009
- [PDF] "Free, prior and informed consent: The role of mining companies"
- Author and date: Oxfam Australia, Oct 2007
- [PDF] "Women, communities and mining: The gender impacts of mining and the role of gender impact assessment"
- Author and date: Oxfam Australia, 2009
Guidance and toolkits by industry and multi-stakeholder associations
- Integrating human rights into environmental, social and health impact assessments. A practical guide for the oil and gas industry. IPIECA, Danish Institute for Human Rights (DIHR), Dec 2013
- Preventing Conflict In Exploration: a Toolkit for Explorers and Developers
Corporate Engagement Project, World Vision Canada, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, May 2012
- "Human Rights in the Mining and Metals Industry: Overview, Management Approach and Issues"
- Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, May 2009
- "Human Rights Training Toolkit for the Oil and Gas Industry"
- Author: International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association (IPIECA), 2014
- [PDF] "Human Rights in the Mining & Metals Industry – Handling and Resolving Local Level Concerns & Grievances"
- Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, Oct 2009
- "Good Practice Guidance on Occupational Health Risk Assessment"
- Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, 2010
- "[PDF] Leadership Matters: Managing Fatal Risk Guidance"
Author and date: Intl. Council for Mining and Metals, Apr 2010
- "Initiative for responsible mining assurance"
- Participants include mining companies, jewellery retailers, NGOs and trade associations
- "[PDF] Good Practice Guide: Indigenous Peoples and Mining"
Author and date: Intl. Council on Mining & Metals, Oct 2010
- "Oil & Gas Industry Guidance on Voluntary Sustainability Reporting"
- Author and date: IPIECA; API; OGP, Sep 2015
- "[PDF] HIV/AIDS Resource Guide for the Mining Sector"
- Author and date: IFC, 2002
Guidance by companies
- Anglo American: "SEAT – Socio-Economic Assessment Toolbox"
- Rio Tinto: "Human Rights Guidance"
- Rio Tinto: "[PDF] Why gender matters - A resource guide for integrating gender considerations into Communities work at Rio Tinto"
- Talisman: (written by Foley Hoag, commissioned by Talisman): "Implementing a Corporate Free, Prior, and Informed Consent Policy: Benefits and Challenges"
Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Voluntary Principles on Security & Human Rights
- [PDF] Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights: Implementation Guidance Tools
- Author and date: Intl. Council on Mining & Metals, Intl. Committee of the Red Cross, Intl. Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association, Intl. Finance Corporation, 2011
- [PDF] "Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights: Performance Indicators"
- Author and date: International Alert, Jun 2008
- [PDF] "The Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights: An Implementation Toolkit for Major Project Sites"
- Author and date: Don McFetridge - Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, Japan Environmental and Social Challenges Fund, Anvil Mining, Jul 2008
Related stories and components
On October 23, 2018, 13 towns in conjunction with the following associations: Notre Affaire à Tous, Les Eco Maires, Sherpa, and Zea, challenged Total with regards to its inaction on climate change, on the basis of the French law on the duty of...
So. Africa: Court denies human rights activists access to documents in defamation lawsuit by Mineral Sands Resources
Author: Khulekani Magubane, Fin24 (South Africa)
"Xolobeni lawsuit: Activists denied access to documents for defamation defence", 1 Jun 2019...
- Related stories: Mineral Sands Resources lawsuits (re Tormin mine, So. Africa)
- Related in-depth areas: Extractives Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Mineral Commodities (MRC) MRC (see Mineral Commodities)
Author: Arnaud Dumas et Béatrice Héraud, Novethic (France) (copyright: www.novethic.fr)
« Assemblées générales 2019 : les douze résolutions qu'il ne fallait pas louper », 3 juin 2019...
Author: Pape Ndiaye, Walfadjri (Sénégal)
La Direction des parcs nationaux est secouée par un scandale qui risque d’entacher sa réputation. En effet, de gros bonnets appartenant à ce corps paramilitaire sont tombés dans les filets de la compagnie de Gendarmerie de Kédougou. Ils sont soupçonnés...
- Related in-depth areas: Extractives
Botswana: Debswana Diamond says its Sustainability Resource Centre will help achieve zero harm across its operations
Author: Daniel Gleeson, International Mining (UK)
‘Debswana looks to hit zero harm goal with Sustainability Resource Centre’ 23 March 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Extractives Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources
- Related companies: Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.)
Author: Edison Veiga, BBC News Brasil (Brazil)
“Brasil e EUA lideram retrocessos ambientais, aponta estudo que abrange mais de um século-No mais completo estudo do tipo já realizado, um grupo de cientistas de diversas universidades estrangeiras, liderados pela ONG Conservação Internacional,...
Author: Instituto Socioambiental (ISA) (Brazil)
“Povo Yanomami solicita apoio do governo para combater maior invasão desde demarcação-Alarmadas com a presença de cerca de 10 mil garimpeiros em suas terras, lideranças indígenas foram até Brasília pedir auxílio das autoridades para enfrentar invasore...
Ghana: Minerals Commission’s Chair calls for more local involvement in extractives to drive social & economic transformation
Author: Dotsey Koblah Aklorbortu & Salman Ellembelle, Graphic Online (Ghana)
‘Ghana must benefit from gold mining — Boafo’ 23 May 209...
Author: Chancia Plaine, Huglo-Lepage Avocats, dans Actu Environnement
« Vers une application du devoir de vigilance et de la responsabilité civile extraterritoriale », 27 mai 2019...
- Related stories: Procès contre Vedanta Resources (contamination de l'eau en Zambie)
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos juridiques Extractives
- Related companies: Vedanta Resources