Noranda (part of Falconbridge)
Noranda merged with Falconbridge in June 2005.
[PDF] The Operation of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in a World of Corporate and Other Codes of Conduct
Author: Jane Nelson, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government
[With chapters on "The Growing Role & Importance of NGOs"; "NGOs & the Extractive Sector"; "NGO Accountability; "Strategies for Co-operative NGO-business engagment"] [Refers to Chevron, Coca-Cola, General Motors, Lafarge, Rhodia, EDF, SCA, Eni...
- Related companies: Alcoa Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold BHP Billiton Chevron Coca-Cola EDF Endesa (part of Enel) Eni Falconbridge (now part of Glencore Xstrata) Freeport-McMoRan Freudenberg General Motors Lafarge Mitsubishi Group Newmont Nippon Mining Nippon Mining & Metals (part of Nippon Mining) Noranda (part of Falconbridge) Norske Skog Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rhodia Rio Tinto SCA Sumitomo Group Umicore WMC Resources Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Wal-Mart/Sam's Club
The Sustainable Value Network for Jewelry will bring together a diverse set of stakeholders to find innovative solutions to environmental and social challenges facing products made from a variety of materials including minerals, metals and precious...
Author: De Beers
...Survival International [is engaging] in a knowingly dishonest campaign, which seeks to use diamonds as an issue to leverage pressure on the Government of Botswana to change its policies on rural and social development...De Beers continues to...
- Related stories: Botswana Govt. attorney ordered arrested for contempt of High Court during hearing on expulsion of Bushmen from Kalahari reserve - Survival Intl. calls for boycott of Botswana tourism & De Beers diamonds Botswana: Survival Intl. responds to allegations by De Beers & maintains that diamonds are at root of eviction of Bushmen from ancestral lands Botswana: Survival Intl. says that Bushmen are making "last stand" against raids by police on reserve & that tourists to Botswana & those who buy diamonds from De Beers are complicit in Bushmen's evictions Show moreShow less
- Related companies: De Beers Noranda (part of Falconbridge)
Author: Robert Melnbardis, Reuters
Lead still tops the list of industrial pollutants in North America that can cause birth defects or developmental damage in children...with much of it coming from just three base metal smelters in Canada [owned by Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting,...
Author: Intl. Council on Mining & Metals (ICMM)
ICMM comprises 16 of the world’s largest mining and metals companies as well as 23 regional, national and commodity associations. [Company members: Alcoa, Anglo American, AngloGold Ashanti, BHP Billiton, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, Lonmin,...
- Related stories: ICMM [Intl. Council on Mining & Metals] Annual Review 2004 released
- Related companies: Alcoa Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Freeport-McMoRan Lonmin Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Newmont Nippon Mining Nippon Mining & Metals (part of Nippon Mining) Noranda (part of Falconbridge) Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto Sumitomo Group Sumitomo Metal Mining (part of Sumitomo Group) Umicore WMC Resources
Canada's regulations for international takeovers of domestic companies don't call on regulators to heed human-rights concerns, suggesting legislators who want to block a sale of Noranda Inc. to China Minmetals Corp. on those grounds may have to...
Enabling Corporate Investment in Peace: An Assessment of Voluntary Initiatives Addressing Business and Violent Conflict, and a Framework for Policy Decision-making
Author: Jason Switzer, International Institute for Sustainable Development, and Halina Ward, International Institute for Environment and Development
This report has two aims. First, to review the provisions of voluntary codes, guidelines and initiatives that address the relationship between business activities and violent civil conflict. Second, to make suggestions on a framework for public policy...