ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation)
Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in India
Author: John Berthelsen, Asia Sentinel
…[U]nder the radar, half the countries in Asia are helping to prop up the [Burmese] dictatorship, either through government help or through the sub rosa support of their business communities — including Singapore, Malaysia, Korea, Japan, Thailand and...
[PDF] full report: "World Investment Report - Transnational Corporations, Extractive Industries and Development"
Author: UN Conference on Trade & Development (UNCTAD)
The World Investment Report 2007 focuses on the role of transnational corporations in extractive industries... Transnational corporations can bring in the finance and management skills [poor] economies need... But as we know, the extraction of natural...
- Related stories: UNCTAD 2007 World Investment Report focuses on extractive firms' impacts on development
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Extractives, including oil and mines Latin American region
- Related companies: A.P. Moller - Maersk Group Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Barrick Gold BCL BHP Billiton BP Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Codelco Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (now Vale) ConocoPhillips De Beers (part of Anglo American) Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.) Eni Equinor (formerly Statoil) ExxonMobil Freeport-McMoRan Gazprom Glencore Gold Fields Grupo México Harmony Gold Impala Platinum Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) INPEX Kelian Equatorial Mining (part of Rio Tinto) Lukoil Newmont Goldcorp Norilsk Nickel Norsk Hydro ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Petrobras PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Petronas Phelps Dodge (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Repsol YPF Rio Tinto Shell Sinopec Sonatrach Tatneft Teck Resources Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Connecticut’s pension fund will sell its holdings in…[China Petroleum and Chemical Corp. (Sinopec), which do] business in…Sudan…State Treasurer Denise Nappier said…"The bottom line has been, and continues to be, to get the best possible investment...
Author: Marc Gunther, Fortune columnist, on his blog
Could Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway be helping to support genocide in Darfur? The Sudan divestment movement — which has persuaded Harvard, Yale and Stanford, among others, to sell holdings of companies doing business in Sudan — says Berkshire...
- Related stories: Berkshire Hathaway pressured to divest from PetroChina & others that do business in Sudan
- Related companies: Berkshire Hathaway China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Fidelity Investments ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Petronas
Author: Richard Welford, CSR Asia Weekly, Vol. 3, Week 13
[scroll to page 11]...Human Rights Watch says that the decision to invest in Myanmar’s extractive industries is no ordinary business move because lives are at risk. Companies have a responsibility to make sure their investments do not lead to abuses....
- Related stories: Burma: Human Rights Watch warns Shwe & other gas projects threaten human rights, investments by Daewoo, ONGC, GAIL, KOGAS & others may lead to complicity in abuses
- Related companies: China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Daewoo International (part of Posco) Essar Group GAIL (Gas Authority of India Ltd.) KOGAS (Korea Gas Corporation) Myanmar Oil & Gas Enterprise (MOGE) ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) PTT
Burma: Natural Gas Project Threatens Human Rights - South Korean, Indian Investments May Lead to Complicity in Abuses
Author: Human Rights Watch
...Human Rights Watch [has] expressed concern that the proposed construction of overland pipelines to transport...gas will involve the use of forced labor, and result in illegal land confiscation, forced displacement, and unnecessary use of force...
- Related stories: Burma: Human Rights Watch warns Shwe & other gas projects threaten human rights, investments by Daewoo, ONGC, GAIL, KOGAS & others may lead to complicity in abuses Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar)
- Related companies: Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Daewoo International (part of Posco) Essar Group GAIL (Gas Authority of India Ltd.) KOGAS (Korea Gas Corporation) Myanmar Oil & Gas Enterprise (MOGE) Nippon Oil ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Petronas PTT PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP, part of PTT) Total Unocal (part of Chevron)
[PDF] Response to Berkshire Hathaway’s statement on its holdings in PetroChina Company Limited, the majority-owned subsidiary of China National Petroleum Corporation
Author: Sudan Divestment Taskforce [USA]
While the Sudan Divestment holdings Task Force appreciates Berkshire Hathaway’s willingness to comment on the company’s holdings in PetroChina, we seek to clarify certain inaccuracies in the company’s statement. This document briefly summarizes the...