Paid Internship at ShareAction
ShareAction seeks to harness the shareholder power of large investors to target corporations on their environmental and human rights impacts. The massive sums at the disposal of investors such as pension funds means that they can use their shareholder influence to (for example) reduce greenhouse gas emissions or secure better pay and working conditions for workers – but many are failing to do so. ShareAction is changing this.
Our paid intern roles provide an opportunity for individuals who wish to combine practical experience of campaigns with research and analysis. You will be given clear projects to suit your interests and develop your skills, although you will also be involved in a variety of activities arising on an ad hoc basis and undertake some administrative work.
The role will be varied but tasks are likely to include:
- Assisting with ShareAction’s current campaigns
- Development of campaign materials
- Researching environmental and social issues for new and current ShareAction campaigns
- Liaising with external campaign partners and supporters
- Assisting with ShareAction’s policy work and parliamentary engagement
- Researching and writing briefings, articles and blogs
- Monitoring parliamentary activity
- Media monitoring
- Representing ShareAction at external events
- Contributing to our social media presence
- Proven ability to analyse, interpret and communicate complex information.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills and proven capacity to undertake varied tasks simultaneously to tight deadlines.
- A basic understanding of the work that ShareAction does and a demonstrable interest in the issues we work on.
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative.
- Knowledge of responsible investment and/or corporate social responsibility.
- An understanding or willingness to learn about the world of finance.
- Knowledge of the media landscape in the UK
- A track record of being part of successful and innovative environmental or social justice campaigns
- Use of social media as part of a campaign
Application form is available at shareaction.org/vacancies.
Please complete the application form showing how you meet the aspects outlined above, as well as our Diversity Monitoring Form. Please refer to our Diversity Monitoring Guidance for Users if you want to know more about why we monitor diversity.
There is no need to send a covering letter. Please note that CVs will not be considered.
Make sure your application clearly explains your interests and the skills you would bring to the role. Don't be afraid to show your enthusiasm! Please send the application form to [email protected] by midnight 21st June 2015. Interviews will take place on the 26th June 2015.
Tip: Be sure to show us why ShareAction is the right organisation for you and how this position fits into your career development.
No prior work experience is required. However we welcome applications from more experienced individuals who are seeking a change in career direction. We value diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community. We are proud of the fact that previous interns have gone on to excellent jobs in areas including charities and NGOs, Parliament, consulting, research and investment.
"My internship at FairPensions [ShareAction’s former name] was a valuable and worthwhile experience - I loved being part of an exciting campaign, and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in campaigning/research and FairPensions' objectives."
~ April Williams, former intern (2009)
Job title: Paid Intern
Salary: £9.15/hour (London Living Wage)
Contract: 35 hours per week for 6 months
Closing date: midnight 21 June 2015