Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal, Colombia, July 2008
The Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal (PPT), headed by Nobel peace prize winner, Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, delivered “judgment” on 43 companies after its session on Colombia from 21-23 July, 2008. The Tribunal, consisting of internationally renowned notables, investigated accusations of human rights violations in Colombia for three years, before its ruling.
The article “43 multinationals violated human rights” says: “Numerous multinationals are guilty of human rights violations in Colombia, says the Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal (PPT)…Among the companies accused of human rights violations are Coca Cola, Nestlé, British Petroleum and Telefonica. A total of 43 companies have violated human rights in Colombia, the Tribunal says...The PPT says the Colombian Government is equally responsible for the violation of human rights, “favoring capital over people’s lives”…The international companies on the list were given the possibility to respond, but only 6 of the 43 companies on the list took advantage of that.”
Statements by these companies on allegations of their operations in Colombia and/or relevant websites:
- BP: BP in Colombia website - John Ruggie visits army unit in Colombia invited by BP (in Spanish)
- Coca Cola: Important information on our operations in Colombia (in Spanish)
- Nestlé: On restrictions to freedom of association [DOC] (in Spanish)
- Telefónica: Corporate Social Responsibility report on Colombia 2006 [PDF] (in Spanish)
Related stories and components
Author: Oficina de Prensa Décima Sexta Brigada, Colombia
Teniendo en cuenta la importancia de los Derechos Humanos y Derecho Internacional Humanitario en la formación de cada uno de nuestros hombres, el Centro de Instrucción y Entrenamiento de la Décima Sexta Brigada (CIE), contó, durante el fin de semana,...
- Related stories: Colombia: John Ruggie, Representante de la ONU sobre empresas y derechos humanos, visita zona petrolera para observar formación de militares en garantías fundamentales - invitado por el ejército y BP
- Related in-depth areas: Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal, Colombia, July 2008
- Related companies: BP