Policy Associate at NYU Stern Center for Business and Human Rights
The NYU Stern Center for Business and Human Rights is seeking a Policy Associate to join the team in New York City. The Policy Associate will develop and implement a strategic research and advocacy agenda focused on the recruitment and migration of construction workers from South Asia to the Arabian Gulf. Working with the Center’s co-directors, the Policy Associate will help to define a research agenda, conduct independent interview-based fieldwork, and organize stakeholder convenings with the aim of understanding and improving the recruitment system for migrant labor to Gulf countries.
Since it launched in March 2013, the NYU Stern Center for Business and Human Rights remains the first-ever human rights center based at a business school. Since then, the Center has worked to advance a "pro-business, high standards" model for business and human rights. It is located within the Business & Society Program at NYU Stern.
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred).
- A minimum of seven years of professional work experience in a relevant field (i.e., business, human rights, policy or a combination), or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Significant fieldwork in a developing country preferred.
- Experience managing and completing complex, sensitive projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to produce rigorous, analytical research that is accessible to business, government, civil society, and the media.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- A self-starter with the ability to adapt quickly and motivate others to achieve strategic objectives in a collaborative manner.
- Fluency in English required; working knowledge of a South Asian language is a plus.
- Working with the co-directors, develop and implement a research and advocacy strategy to improve business practices in the recruitment of migrant workers from South Asia to construction projects in the Persian Gulf.
- Conduct field research focused on business practices that results in a significant public report, as well as articles, op-eds, white papers and blog posts. Supervise graduate and undergraduate researchers and/or consultants, as required.
- Build and maintain a network of contacts across the recruitment and construction industries.
- Organize and manage closed-door meetings including representatives from business, civil society, and government in South Asia and the Gulf.
- Contribute to other ongoing projects at the Center on an as-needed basis.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
New York University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. In keeping with this commitment, NYU invites applications from women, people with disabilities and members of minority groups.
Job title: Policy Associate
Location: New York
Closing date: 1 May 2015