Related stories and components
Author: John Ruggie, Harvard Univ., former UN Special Representative on business & human rights
At the September 2013 session of the United Nations Human Rights Council, the delegation of Ecuador delivered a statement stressing “the necessity of moving forward toward a legally binding framework to regulate the work of transnational corporations....
- Related stories: Declaración de Ecuador sobre “Empresas Transnacionales y Derechos Humanos"
- Related in-depth areas: 2014 Latest news on UNGPs
Author: Richard Baker & Nick McKenzie, Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)
...ANZ is financing a Cambodian sugar plantation that has involved child labour, military-backed land grabs, forced evictions and food shortages. ANZ's support of the Phnom Penh Sugar Company's plantation is disclosed in confidential audits that...
- Related stories: ANZ seeks 100% control of Cambodia operations months after allegations surfaced that ANZ Royal helped finance a sugar refinery linked to forced evictions Cambodia: ANZ reportedly financing Phnom Penh Sugar, a company beset by allegations of child labour & forced evictions
- Related companies: ANZ Bank
Author: Louisa Soper & Mark Keeling, DLA Piper Australia
The need to consider the impact of business operations and relationships on human rights is a growing feature of the corporate landscape...Operational, social, economic, geographical and political factors inherent to the mining industry mean players...
Author: Haniza A. Hamid, Sarawak Energy
…[T]here is no ‘blockade’ at the Murum HEP [Hydroelectric Project]...[A]ll 353 families affected...have been relocated to the new resettlement villages…The RAP [Resettlement Action Plan] provides the affected community a level of compensation in terms...
- Related stories: Book documents indigenous peoples' experience with access to remedy for corporate abuses Malaysian Embassies receive calls for good faith negotiations with Penan people displaced by Murum Dam NGOs send letters to Malaysian Embassies worldwide calling for good faith negotiations by local authorities and Sarawak Energy with Penan people displaced by Murum Dam. Show moreShow less
- This is a response from the following companies: Sarawak Energy
Managing Social and Environmental Risk for Financial Success: A BSR-UNEP FI Seminar [Beijing, 11 Nov]
Author: Business for Social Responsibility
In the past few years, public, media, and government scrutiny has put sustainability firmly in the spotlight in China and across the world. Banks and companies that do not address social and environmental risk in investment criteria and project...
Author: Global Rights
Learning module for civil society organizations in Sub-Saharan Africa on access to remedy for business-related human rights abuses: the broader system, and business-centered mechanisms. [Refers to Freeport-McMoran]
- Related stories: Global Rights presentation to NGOs in Sub-Saharan Africa on access to remedy for business-related human rights abuses
- Related in-depth areas: Général General non-judicial mechanisms Latest news on UNGPs
- Related companies: Freeport-McMoRan
Author: Jennifer Kho, Guardian Sustainable Business
The launch of the third version of the Equator Principles calls on banks to consider human rights risks, Citi's Shawn Miller [managing director of environmental and social risk management] tells Jennifer Kho what this means for project developers.....
Author: Judith Schönsteiner, Centro de Derechos Humanos, Universidad Diego Portales (Chile)
El estudio [próximamente en español] “Desafíos para Inversionistas Chilenos. Los Efectos de las Directrices de la OCDE para Empresas Multinacionales. Una visión práctica”…por…Judith Schönsteiner…discute las ventajas y los desafíos de la mediación como...
- Related stories: Chile: Estudio sobre implementación de directrices OCDE destaca desafíos en materia de derechos humanos y empresas basado en caso de pesquera Cermaq
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias legales
- Related companies: Cermaq Mainstream (part of Cermaq)
Author: Stephanie Lomax, Herbert Smith Freehills
Soft law…can provide…guidance on how to incorporate human rights practices into business models...[N]ational contracting agencies may increasingly take into account human rights factors when assessing bids…Furthermore, some states already seek to...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on UNGPs