Related stories and components
Author: Americas Quarterly (US)
...The perils and promise of consulta previa…Across the Andes, resource-related conflict has increased over the past 10 years. [In this issue, Country Studies:] Peru… Chile…Guatemala [and] Colombia…[Articles:] Reducing the Financial Risk of Social...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Cementos Progreso Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Compañía General de Combustibles (part of Southern Cross) Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Minas Conga (joint venture Buenaventura & Newmont) Montana Exploradora (part of Goldcorp) Newmont Goldcorp Perupetro Southern Cross Tahoe Resources (part of Pan American Silver)
Author: BNP Paribas
In 2012, Jean-Laurent Bonnafé, Director and CEO, and François Villeroy de Galhau, COO in charge of corporate social responsibility at BNP Paribas, signed the Statement of BNP Paribas on Human Rights, in which the Group commits to ensuring that human...
- Related stories: BNP Paribas on its compliance with UN Guiding Principles
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on UNGPs
- Related companies: BNP Paribas
Dropping Phnom Penh Sugar without compensating its victims will not relieve ANZ’s responsibility [Cambodia]
Author: Equitable Cambodia & Inclusive Development Initiatives
Equitable Cambodia and Inclusive Development International call upon ANZ to right the wrongs it has done by financing the Phnom Penh Sugar plantation and not just jump ship…Eang Vuthy, Executive Director of Equitable Cambodia, said: “We are very...
Author: John Ruggie, Harvard Univ., former UN Special Representative on business & human rights
At the September 2013 session of the United Nations Human Rights Council, the delegation of Ecuador delivered a statement stressing “the necessity of moving forward toward a legally binding framework to regulate the work of transnational corporations.....
- Related stories: Declaración de Ecuador sobre “Empresas Transnacionales y Derechos Humanos"
- Related in-depth areas: 2014 Latest news on UNGPs
Author: Richard Baker & Nick McKenzie, Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)
...ANZ is financing a Cambodian sugar plantation that has involved child labour, military-backed land grabs, forced evictions and food shortages. ANZ's support of the Phnom Penh Sugar Company's plantation is disclosed in confidential audits that reveal...
- Related stories: ANZ seeks 100% control of Cambodia operations months after allegations surfaced that ANZ Royal helped finance a sugar refinery linked to forced evictions Cambodia: ANZ reportedly financing Phnom Penh Sugar, a company beset by allegations of child labour & forced evictions
- Related companies: ANZ Bank
Author: Louisa Soper & Mark Keeling, DLA Piper Australia
The need to consider the impact of business operations and relationships on human rights is a growing feature of the corporate landscape...Operational, social, economic, geographical and political factors inherent to the mining industry mean players at...
Author: Haniza A. Hamid, Sarawak Energy
…[T]here is no ‘blockade’ at the Murum HEP [Hydroelectric Project]...[A]ll 353 families affected...have been relocated to the new resettlement villages…The RAP [Resettlement Action Plan] provides the affected community a level of compensation in terms...
- Related stories: Book documents indigenous peoples' experience with access to remedy for corporate abuses Malaysian Embassies receive calls for good faith negotiations with Penan people displaced by Murum Dam NGOs send letters to Malaysian Embassies worldwide calling for good faith negotiations by local authorities and Sarawak Energy with Penan people displaced by Murum Dam. Show moreShow less
- This is a response from the following companies: Sarawak Energy
Managing Social and Environmental Risk for Financial Success: A BSR-UNEP FI Seminar [Beijing, 11 Nov]
Author: Business for Social Responsibility
In the past few years, public, media, and government scrutiny has put sustainability firmly in the spotlight in China and across the world. Banks and companies that do not address social and environmental risk in investment criteria and project...