Related stories and components
Author: Stephanie Lomax, Herbert Smith Freehills
Soft law…can provide…guidance on how to incorporate human rights practices into business models...[N]ational contracting agencies may increasingly take into account human rights factors when assessing bids…Furthermore, some states already seek to...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on UNGPs
Author: Amnesty International UK
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited UK Export Finance (UKEF) to respond. UKEF's response is provided below] [The] eagerness [of UKEF] to help secure new overseas contracts for British companies often comes at the expense of human...
Author: Equator Principles
Equator Principles (EP) Association Members have given overwhelming support to EP III...The vote in favour of EP III means that from 4 June 2013 more deals will be assessed under a strengthened environmental and social risk management framework. The...
- Related stories: Financial institutions adopt Equator Principles III to strength environmental & social risk management framework
- Related companies: ING
Author: Intl. Corporate Accountability Roundtable
On April 23rd, ICAR and the Human Rights Institute at Georgetown University Law Center hosted the UN Working Group (WG) on...[business &] human rights...as part of its country mission to the United States...ICAR invited leading representatives...
Gaining Ground? Report sheds light on demand for accountability amid resistance to land deals in Africa
Author: International Institute for Environment & Development [UK]
People who feel wronged by large scale land deals in Africa are taking a variety of steps to seek justice, according to new research that examines the accountability of public authorities that preside over such deals and asks whether legal empowerment...
- Related stories: Africa: Report examines redress options for communities negatively impacted by commercial land deals
- Related in-depth areas: Commentaries
Author: Robin Llewellyn, Intercontinental Cry
The Ngäbe and Buglé peoples are holding protests…to highlight the Panamanian government's non-compliance with peace accords that ended last year's deadly protests. [They]…claim the state has failed to compensate victims…and has allowed the continued...
- Related stories: Panama: Indigenous peoples resume protests over continued construction of Barro Blanco dam
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: FMO
The 2013 Top Ten List of Business and Human Rights Issues was published by the Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB) on International Human Rights Day, 10 December 2012
Author: Institute for Human Rights and Business
1. Embedding respect for human rights across all business relationships...2. Expanding action to combat forced labour and human trafficking...3. Tackling challenges of dual-use internet-based technologies that may undermine privacy rights and freedom...
- Related stories: Institute for Human Rights and Business publishes 4th annual list of business & human rights issues
- Related companies: Apple Foxconn (part of Hon Hai) Hon Hai
Author: Permanent Mission of the Unites States of America to the UN in Geneva
This Note is...in response to the...questionnaire from the Working Group, soliciting information on State practices in the sphere of business and human rights...The US government is committed to the GPs, as evidenced...through the integration of human...