Global Network Initiative
Related stories and components
Facebook & Google’s surveillance poses unprecedented danger to human rights says Amnesty International; the companies dispute the findings
Author: Amnesty International
"Surveillance giants: How the business model of Google and Facebook threatens human rights," 21 Nov 2019...
Int'l human rights law as the common ground for govts. & cos. to rethink internet content moderation
Author: David Kaye, OneZero
"A New Constitution for Content Moderation", 25 Jun 2019...
Author: Sebastian Smart, Global Partners Digital
"Can national action plans make tech companies right-respecting?", 3 Sep 2018...
Canadian govt. releases guidance for private sector support for human rights defenders & civic freedoms
Author: Global Affairs Canada
"CSR Snapshot #7 – Private Sector Support for Human Rights Defenders: A Primer for Canadian Businesses", 04 Mar 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Women human rights defenders
- Related companies: ABN Amro adidas Airbnb Anglo American Apple Associated British Foods Barrick Gold BMW Cisco Systems Daimler FIFA Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Leber Jeweler Microsoft Nike Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Tahoe Resources (part of Pan American Silver) Unilever
Author: Global Network Initiative (GNI)
"GNI Submission on Draft Amendments to Intermediary Guidelines in India", 31 Jan 2019...
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Global Network Initiative report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
Since 2011, network disruptions and large-scale network shutdowns have become a widespread tool of information control. Governments in at least four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America) have shut down connectivity or social media... ...
Author: Consejería Presidencial de Derechos Humanos (Colombia)
“2do Informe de seguimiento del Plan Nacional de Acción de Derechos Humanos y Empresas 2017- 2018”...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on National Action Plans Principios Rectores sobre empresas y derechos humanos Últimas noticias - libertad de asociación Últimas noticias sobre defensoras/es Últimas noticias sobre recursos naturales
- Related companies: Anglo American Anheuser-Busch InBev Aviatur Bavaria (part of SABMiller) BHP Billiton Brookfield Cemex Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Cerro Matoso (part of South32) Colombia Natural Resources, CNR (part of Murray Energy) Drummond Ecopetrol Fortox Security Group Glencore Grupo Bolívar Grupo Nutresa Isagen (part of Brookfield) Mineros Murray Energy Prodeco (part of Glencore) SABMiller (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Smurfit Kappa Cartón de Colombia (part of Smurfit Kappa) South32 Telefónica
Author: Rafia Shaikh, WccF Tech (USA)
"UN wants some answers from Apple over its decision to comply with China's VPN demands", 7 Aug 2017...
- Related stories: China: Apple pulls down VPN apps that beat censorship from Chinese App Store, company says they do not meet new legal requirements
- Related companies: Apple