Global Network Initiative
Related stories and components
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Global Network Initiative report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
Since 2011, network disruptions and large-scale network shutdowns have become a widespread tool of information control. Governments in at least four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America) have shut down connectivity or social media... ...
Author: Consejería Presidencial de Derechos Humanos (Colombia)
“2do Informe de seguimiento del Plan Nacional de Acción de Derechos Humanos y Empresas 2017- 2018”...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on National Action Plans Principios Rectores sobre empresas y derechos humanos Últimas noticias - libertad de asociación Últimas noticias sobre defensoras/es Últimas noticias sobre recursos naturales
- This is a response from the following companies: Anglo American Anheuser-Busch InBev Aviatur Bavaria (part of SABMiller) BHP Billiton Brookfield Cemex Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Cerro Matoso (part of South32, part of BHP Billiton) Colombia Natural Resources, CNR (part of Murray Energy) Drummond Ecopetrol Fortox Security Group Glencore Grupo Bolívar Grupo Nutresa Isagen (part of Brookfield) Mineros Murray Energy Prodeco (part of Glencore) SABMiller (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Smurfit Kappa Cartón de Colombia (part of Smurfit Kappa) South32 (part of BHP Billiton) Telefónica
Author: Rafia Shaikh, WccF Tech (USA)
"UN wants some answers from Apple over its decision to comply with China's VPN demands", 7 Aug 2017...
- Related stories: China: Apple pulls down VPN apps that beat censorship from Chinese App Store, company says they do not meet new legal requirements
- Related companies: Apple
Global Network Initiative and Telecommunications Industry Dialogue Joint Statement on Network and Service Shutdowns
Author: Global Network Initiative and the Telecommunications Industry Dialogue
Original publication date: 12 July 2016...
- Related stories: Joint statement on internet shutdowns, by Global Network Initiative and Telecommunications Industry Dialogue
- Related companies: Telenor
The Global Network Initiative: how can companies in the information and communications technology sector respect human rights?
Author: Michael Samway, Yahoo! Inc.
Over the past two decades, companies in the information and communications technology (ICT) sector have designed, developed and distributed online tools that have allowed citizens across the globe to share information and communicate in unprecedented...
- Related companies: Yahoo! (part of Verizon)
U.S. Ambassador Keith Harper delivers statement to Human Rights Council on national efforts to implement the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
Author: Ambassador Keith Harper (USA)
"Ambassador Harper: Implementation of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights", 21 Mar 2016...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on UNGPs
On 1 February 2016, the multi-stakeholder Global Network Initiative (GNI) and the Telecommunications Industry Dialogue (ID) announced that seven global telecommunication companies will join with GNI to promote and advance freedom of expression and...
NYU Center for Business and Human Rights explains decision to resign membership from the Global Network Initiative
Author: Sarah Labowitz and Michael Posner, Co-Directors, NYU Stern Center for Business and Human Rights
"Why We’re Leaving the Global Network Initiative", 1 Feb 2016...