Related stories and components
Commentary: Blockchain cannot guarantee fairer mineral sourcing practices without robust supply chain due diligence
Author: Carly Oboth, Global Witness
"What does blockchain mean for the future of responsible mineral sourcing?" 21 September 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights
British excavation giant JCB warned about potential violations of international law in the occupied Palestinian territories
In August 2018, Lawyers for Palestinian Human Rights (LPHR) raised human rights concerns with JCB regarding its involvement in the imminent demolition of Khan al-Ahmar, a Palestinian village in the occupied West Bank. JCB’s products have reportedly...
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited JCB to respond to allegations relating to its involvement in the imminent demolition of Khan al-Ahmar. JCB did not respond
- Related stories: British excavation giant JCB warned about potential violations of international law in the occupied Palestinian
- This is a non response from the following companies: JCB
Brazil: Conectas & union ADERE-MG file OECD complaint accusing 6 companies of forced labour in their supply chains
On 21 August, Conectas and ADERE-MG filed a complaint to to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development accusing Nestlé, Jacobs Douwe Egberts, Starbucks, McDonald’s, Dunkin Donuts and Illy of failing to ensure that their coffee is sourc...
Okpabi v Royal Dutch Shell: An opportunity to honour international standards or another instance of corporate impunity?
Author: Gabriela Quijano, Legal Adviser, Amnesty International - International Secretariat
On 14 February 2018, a UK Court of Appeal dismissed the Okpabi v Royal Dutch Shell (RDS or Shell) appeal on the basis that RDS could not be held legally responsible for the actions of its Nigerian subsidiary, the Shell Petroleum Development Company of...
- Related stories: Shell lawsuit (re oil spills & Ogale & Bille communities in Nigeria - Okpabi v Shell)
- Related in-depth areas: Blogs & commentaries Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Shell
Bangladesh: Investor Statement in Support of the Continued Functioning of the Accord to Ensure Bangladesh Factories are Safe for Garment Workers
Author: Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility (ICCR)
"Investor Statement in Support of the Continued Functioning of the Accord to Ensure Bangladesh Factories are Safe for Garment Workers" 29 August 2018...
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Author: Thun Group of Banks
[P]articipants reflected upon the Thun Group's 2017 Paper... The[y] ... agreed that the [...] constructive feedback received from key experts following the meeting facilitated the finalization of the Paper (published in December 2017)......