Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Related stories and components
Brazil: Despite improvements, Zara needs to do more to comply with commitments to end & prevent forced labour, NGOs say; company comments
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Inditex/Zara to respond to concerns over forced labour in a recent report by SOMO and Repórter Brasil, as well as related articles. Inditex/Zara responded to all items. All of the information can be...
Commentary: Domestic courts are necessary to ensure access to remedy until legally binding treaty facilitates process
Author: Irina Crivet, Koç University, on academia.edu
"Domestic remedies for international business-related human rights abuses", 28 Apr 2015...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on proposed binding treaty
- Related companies: Chevron ConocoPhillips Danzer Monterrico Metals (part of Zijin) Rio Blanco Copper (part of Xiamen Zijin Tongguan Investment Development Corporation, part of Zijin Mining Group, Tongling Non-Ferrous Metals Group Holding Co. Ltd. y Xiamen C&D Coperation Ltd.) Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Zijin
Author: Frank Seier, Right2Respect
...Business has a "differentiated but complementary" responsibility in preventing and addressing corporate-related human rights impacts. When States enact national human rights laws, corporations have a legal obligation to comply with these... In...
- Related stories: Human rights due diligence: "The 10-minute corporate executive guide", by Right2Respect
- Related companies: BP
Author: John G. Ruggie, Harvard Kennedy School, former UN Special Representative on business & human rights
[T]he idea of "polycentric governance" which the GPs embody...rests on the observation that corporate conduct at the global level today is shaped by three distinct governance systems...From the outset I rejected the voluntary/mandatory dichotomy that...
Poland: Microsoft organises roundtable with business & govt. to discuss implementation of UN Guiding Principles
Author: Dan Bross, Microsoft
"Commemorating International Human Rights Day", 10 Dec 2014...
Canadian courts increasingly used in litigation to hold companies accountable for human rights abuse abroad, says law firm
Author: H. Scott Fairley & Anastasija Sumakova, WeirFoulds LLP
Canada: Tort Liability At Home For Alleged Wrongs Abroad: The Common Law Goes Extraterritorial?, 2 Dec 2014...
- Related stories: Copper Mesa Mining lawsuit (re Ecuador) Hudbay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Nevsun lawsuit (re Bisha mine, Eritrea) Tahoe Resources lawsuit (re Guatemala) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Copper Mesa Mining Hudbay Minerals Nevsun Tahoe Resources (part of Pan American Silver)
Frontline discussion with Christine Bader & Arvind Ganesan on the obligations and costs of doing business in a global context
Author: Sarah Childress and Lu Olkowski, Frontline
'Podcast: what's the moral cost of doing business today?', 19 Nov 2014:...In recent years, we’ve seen a great shift in the business world towards corporate social responsibility. But what does that really mean?...How responsible should companies be for...