Program Head (Senior Research Scientist), Halving Global Violence Initiative
Center on International Cooperation
- Location: New York
- Contract Type: Full-Time Staff
- Rolling application
CIC is seeking a Program Head for its SDG16.1 challenge, as we design a movement to halve global violence for launch at the UN’s 75th-anniversary summit in 2020, which coincides with the International Day of Peace.
Reporting to the Pathfinders Director, the principal job responsibilities are to:
- Provide research and thought leadership, strategic direction, and oversight for this new initiative.
- Develop the evidence to inform a vision and strategies for halving violence, synthesizing research developed in five domains of prevention – conflict, urban and criminal violence, interpersonal violence (in particular, violence against women and girls), human rights abuses and mass atrocities, and violent extremism – and building links to the Secretary-General’s global conversation on “bridging the gap” for the UN’s 75th anniversary
- Initiate and contribute to research developing a case for investment in halving violence and strengthening financing strategies for prevention. Explore innovative financing modalities and other mechanisms for incentivizing the accelerated prevention of violence. Identify metrics that can be used to measure the success of a movement to halve violence.
- Based on this research, develop and implement a plan to engage member states, city leaders, and global and regional partners in an action coalition for halving violence and engage champions from the international system and other globally recognized leaders for peace.
- Launch the movement to halve violence at the SDG Action Platform as part of the UN’s 75th-anniversary summit in September 2020 and at the Peace One Concert on the International Day of Peace.
- Develop and implement a plan to take forward this movement as part of the UN’s Decade of Action for the SDGs.
- Manage a team of staff and consultants, secure the continued financial sustainability of the program, and report on impact and value for money to donors.
- Work with the Pathfinders director and other program leads to ensure the effective management of the Pathfinders program.
For more information, please follow Link to Job.