- Home ▹
- USA: Corporate Equality Index scores record number of...
Welcome to the Resource Centre
We make it our mission to work with advocates in civil society, business and government to address inequalities of power, seek remedy for abuse, and ensure protection of people and planet.
Both companies and impacted communities thank us for the resources and support we provide.
Phil Bloomer, Executive Director
USA: Corporate Equality Index scores record number of companies full marks for having inclusive policies for LGBT workers
All components of this story
Author: Human Rights Campaign
...In this 15th edition of the Corporate Equality Index we have seen the largest increase in top-rated businesses in the history of our survey...The most significant progress in the CEI has been the wide-scale adoption of transgender inclusive initiatives across businesses.
- A full 82 percent of the Fortune 500 have gender identity protections enumerated in their non-discrimination policies and 96 percent of the entire CEI universe of businesses offer explicit gender identity non-discrimination protections in the U.S.
- Fifty percent of the Fortune 500 and nearly three-fourths (73 percent) of the CEI universe of businesses offer transgender-inclusive health care coverage, up from 0 in 2002 and over six times as many businesses as five years ago. With 136 new employers offering this coverage in the 2017 report, this represents the greatest increase in a single year of employers offering transgender-inclusive health care benefits.
- A majority of CEI-rated businesses (86 percent) offer education and training programs that specifically include definitions and/ or scenarios on gender identity in the workplace; and,
- Nearly four-hundred (387) major businesses have adopted gender transition guidelines for employees and their teams to establish best practices in transgender inclusion...
Author: Sarah McBride, Human Rights Campaign
The nation’s major companies and law firms are advancing in record numbers vital policies and practices to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) workers around the world, according to the 2017 Corporate Equality Index released today by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC)...This year, a record-breaking 517 businesses earned the CEI’s top score of 100, up from 407 last year..
The CEI rates companies and top law firms on detailed criteria falling under five broad categories:
- Non-discrimination policies
- Employment benefits
- Demonstrated organizational competency and accountability around LGBT diversity and inclusion
- Public commitment to LGBT equality
- Responsible citizenship...
This year 887 companies and firms were officially rated and, in addition to the record number of companies receiving a perfect score of 100, progress continued across workplaces, including:
- 93 percent of rated companies had adopted sexual orientation equal employment policies for U.S. and global operations and 92 percent had gender identity equal employment policies for U.S. and global operations.
- Same-sex domestic partner or spousal benefits were provided by 98 percent of rated companies.
- 73 percent of rated companies offer transgender-inclusive healthcare coverage, up from 60 percent from last year, the largest single year increase in trans-inclusive health benefits since the coverage was added to the CEI...
- Sexual orientation & gender identity (LGBT) discrimination
- Discrimination/diversity: General
- Company advances on human rights
- Company policies: General
- Law firms
- Finance & banking
- Consumer products/retail
- Auditing, consulting & accounting
- Food & beverage
- Manufacturing: General
- Health care
- Advertising & marketing
- Technology, telecom & electronics
- Internet & social media
- Automobile & other motor vehicles
- Chemical: General
- Apparel & textile
- Office equipment
- Oil, gas & coal
- Real estate
- Transport: General
- Education companies
- Metals & steel
- Construction & building materials
- Freight handling
- Health: General (including workplace health & safety)
- HRC Corporate Equality Index (USA)
- Supermarkets & grocery
- Restaurants & bars
- Supply chains
- Clothing & textile
- Catering & food services
- Chocolate & cocoa
- Cleaning products
- Luggage, backpacks & bags
- Security companies
- Cruise ship