Related stories and components
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Sumitomo Group
Global Network Initiative report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
Since 2011, network disruptions and large-scale network shutdowns have become a widespread tool of information control. Governments in at least four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America) have shut down connectivity or social media... ...
Front Line Defenders report highlights killings of 312 human rights defenders in 2017, underlining the role of business
Author: Front Line Defenders (Ireland)
"Annual Report on Human Rights Defenders at Risk 2017", 3 Jan 2018...
E. Africa: Human Rights Impact Assessment highlights importance of country-specific due diligence to protect human rights of coffee sector workers
Author: Institute for Human Rights & Business
"Human Rights Impact Assessment: A report about the East African coffee sector in: Kenya, Uganda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Burundi"...
- Related in-depth areas: Supply chain UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- Related companies: Coop Danmark
Author: Peter von Hartlieb-Wallthor (EnergieAgentur NRW), Dr. Herwig Marbler (DERA)
"Rohstoffe Subsahara: 31 Länder, Stand 2016/2017", Juni 2017 Deutschland ist wie kaum ein anderes Land in die Weltwirtschaft eingebunden, also in hohem Maße auf den Export an Waren, aber auch auf den Import von Energierohstoffen und von mineralisch...
Author: UNOG Information Services, OHCHR (Switzerland)
"Report highlights rising reprisals against human rights defenders cooperating with the UN", 20 Sep 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Author: Allen & Overy (UK)
"Supporting African advisers on responsible business: A&O and A4ID partner with the East Africa Law Society to deliver workshops for African lawyers on business and human rights"...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
East Africa: Initiative to phase out use of mercury in artisanal mining will reduce health & environmental hazards
Author: Kennedy Senelwa, The EastAfrican (Kenya)
"East Africa leads efforts to cut use of mercury in mining"...
An upcoming publication highlights the difficulty for business to operate responsibly in complex and crisis-conflict contexts
Author: Katinka Van Cranenburgh, Linkedin.com
"Business responsibilities in times of war and peace: the case of Heineken in Central Africa", 24 March 20174...
- Related companies: Heineken