Related stories and components
Canada Supreme Court to hear case against Nevsun Resources over alleged forced labour & torture at Eritrea mine in January
Author: Julius Melnitzer, Financial Post (Canada)
"Supreme Court set to hear Nevsun Resources case on Eritrea human rights abuses", 27 Dec 2018...
- Related stories: Canada Supreme Court hearing on jurisdiction in case against Nevsun over allegations of forced labour at mine in Eritrea Nevsun lawsuit (re Bisha mine, Eritrea)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Nevsun
Author: Globe and Mail (Canada)
On January 23 the Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case that will have major repercussions for Canadian companies with overseas operations....
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Goldcorp Sumitomo Group
Author: The Economist
"Eritrea, Africa’s most repressive state, begins to open up"...
Campaigners welcome Blackrock’s divestment from Nevsun following campaign over alleged use of forced labour in Eritrea; Nevsun denies use of forced labour
Freedom United and Eritrea Focus have launched a campaign to urge Nevsun's biggest shareholders to divest from the company due to alleged use of forced labour in its Eritrean mines. BlackRock Fund Managers have divested from Nevsun while M & G...
Recent lawsuits contribute to emerging norm of corporate accountability for international crimes, says scholar
Author: Dieneke de Vos, on Just Security
" Corporate Criminal Accountability for International Crimes ", 30 Nov 2017...
Canada: Recent lawsuits point to advances in accountability of Canadian mining companies for abuses abroad, observers say
Author: Douglas Quan, National Post (Canada)
" 'New era': Canadian mining industry closely watching three civil cases alleging human rights abuses ", 27 Nov 2017...
Canada: Lawsuit against Nevsun for alleged forced labour & torture in Eritrea mine can proceed, says Appeal Court
Author: Canadian Centre for International Justice
" Appeal court confirms slave labour lawsuit against Canadian mining company can go to trial ", 21 Nov 2017...