Related stories and components
Author: Sibusiso Zwane, Times of Swaziland
ENPF to the rescue of laid-off workers? 7 May 2020...
Author: James Richardson, The South African
‘Eswatini nurses to sue government over COVID-19 mess’ 20 April 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response
So. Africa: Gold mining companies issue notice on compensation of miners exposed to dangerous dust since 1965
Author: Pindula News, (Zimbabwe)
‘SA Gold Mines Announce Compensation For Mineworkers Employed From 1965 Onward’ 1 September 2019...
- Related stories: So. Africa: Anglo American So. Africa & AngloGold Ashanti settle ex-gold miners’ silicosis lawsuit
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources
- Related companies: Anglo American South Africa AngloGold Ashanti Ashanti Goldfields (see AngloGold Ashanti) Sibanye-Stillwater
Southern Africa: SADC region losing billions in trade-related illicit outflows & external government debt payments every year
Author: Action for Southern Africa
‘The Money Drain: How Trade Misinvoicing and Unjust Debt Undermine Economic and Social Rights in Southern Africa’ September 2019...
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Goldcorp Sumitomo Group
Enforcement of colonial & apartheid-era laws limits press freedom & endangers human rights defenders in Southern Africa
Author: Jonathan Rozen, Quartz Africa
"Colonial and Apartheid-era laws still govern press freedom in southern Africa", 7 December 2018....
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders
Swaziland: Royal Swaziland Sugar accused of illegally evicting local farmers, includes company's comments
Author: Farmer's Weekly (So. Africa)
"Swazi sugar corporation accused of illegal evictions"...
- Related in-depth areas: Land Rights & Displacements
So. Africa: Mineral Governance Barometer for Southern Africa launched; pilot study reviews mining regulations in 10 countries
Author: Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa & Southern Africa Resource Watch (South Africa)
This pilot study provides a barometer of mineral governance in ten Southern African countries: Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. The barometer takes...
So. Africa: Inaugural Southern Africa Permanent People's Tribunal hears testimonies from communities affected by mining and extractive activities
Author: Alternative Information & Development Centre (South Africa)
The Permanent Peoples' Tribunal held the hearing in Manzini, Swaziland, in the southern region of Africa, taking evidence from cases based in Swaziland (two cases), Zimbabwe (two cases), South Africa (four cases), Zambia (one case), and Mozambique (two...