Related stories and components
Author: Ishmael F. Menkor, Daily Observer (Liberia)
"ArcelorMittal Mine Workers Resume Strike", 3 August 2018...
- Related companies: Arcelor Mittal
Author: France Info
« Au moins 207 défenseurs de l'environnement ont été tués en 2017, selon l'ONG Global Witness », 24 juillet 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos sur les défenseurs des droits de l'homme Human rights defenders
Liberia: Golden Veroleum quits certification body to protest handling of complaint for alleged failure to consult local community
"Liberia's biggest palm oil project quits eco-certification scheme"...
- Related in-depth areas: Land Rights & Displacements
Author: Global Witness (UK)
"At what cost?: Irresponsible business and the murder of land and environmental defenders in 2017"...
- Related stories: Deadliest year on record for land & environmental defenders: New Global Witness report says 207 activists killed in 2017
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Desarrollos Energéticos (DESA)
Columnist on why community consultation is essential for development projects; cites failed Buchanan Renewables' project in Liberia
Author: Rachel Cernansky, New York Times
"It Takes Consultation to Help a Village"...
- Related companies: Buchanan Renewables
Liberia: New report calls on Swedish co's to address & remedy human rights impacts following their exit from bioenergy project; incl. co comments
Shortly after the exit of Swedish companies Vattenfall and Swedfund from a bioenergy venture in Liberia 2012, the project collapsed. According to Swedwatch and several other NGOs, the investors left without an exit strategy and without conducting...
Liberia: Sime Darby accused of torturing and manhandling residents in and around its concessions after incident is captured on video; incudes company statement
Sime Darby Oil Palm Plantation Liberia (SDPL), a subsidiary of Malaysia based palm oil company, Sime Darby Plantation (SDP) has been accused of torturing and manhandling residents in and around its concession areas after a video was released on social...