Related stories and components
Nigeria: Union alleges exploitation of contract workers at Shell including anti-union activity, poverty wages, poor health & safety
A new report by IndustriALL has alleged exploitation of contract workers at Shell oil and gas operations in Nigeria. Allegations include poverty wages, anti-union activity, health & safety hazards and inadequate living conditions. We asked Shell t...
Shell is committed to respecting human rights as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Labour Organization core conventions. Our human rights approach is informed by the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human...
- Related stories: Nigeria: Union alleges exploitation of contract workers at Shell including poverty wages & poor health & safety
- This is a response from the following companies: Shell
Professor John Ruggie provides 'Guiding Principles' for the business & human rights treaty negotiations in open letter
Author: Professor John G. Ruggie
"'Guiding Principles' for the Business & Human Rights Treaty Negotiations: An Open Letter to the Intergovernmental Working Group," 9 October 2018...
Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin: Parent company liability for extraterritorial abuse
Author: Diana Nabiruma (Africa Institute for Energy Governance ), in Africa Centre for Media Excellence (Uganda)
"Op-ed – Uganda’s hope in oil benefits is misplaced"...
- Related in-depth areas: Land Rights & Displacements
Shell Nigeria Gas marks its 20th anniversary by implementing a health programme for public transport drivers
Author: The Guardian (Nigeria)
"Shell Nigeria Gas marks 20 years, implements health programme", 29 August 2018...
- Related companies: Shell
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
On 14 October and 22 December 2015, the Ogale and Bille Nigerian communities respectively filed claims against the UK company Royal Dutch Shell plc (hereinafter Shell) and its Nigerian subsidiary Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) in the UK...