Related stories and components
Somalia: Local fishing communities say deal between govt. & Chinese Overseas Fisheries Association will compromise their livelihood
Author: Laura Angela Bagnetto, Radia France International
"Somalia: Chinese deal angers fishing communities, sparks concerns over sovereignty and piracy"...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Sumitomo Group
Global Network Initiative report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
Since 2011, network disruptions and large-scale network shutdowns have become a widespread tool of information control. Governments in at least four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America) have shut down connectivity or social media... ...
Front Line Defenders report highlights killings of 312 human rights defenders in 2017, underlining the role of business
Author: Front Line Defenders (Ireland)
"Annual Report on Human Rights Defenders at Risk 2017", 3 Jan 2018...
USA court dismisses lawsuit alleging Dahabshiil's complicity in Somali activist's killing by terrorist group
Author: Brandon Stahl, Star Tribune (USA)
"Lawsuit by son of slain Somali activist against money transfer business is thrown out"...
Commentary: 2017 UN Climate Change Conference should focus on adverse effects of climate change on children
Author: Alice Thomas, Refugees International, OpenGlobalRights
“Climate change talks must focus on the most vulnerable: the world’s children”, 1 Nov 2017...
USA: In response to Trump’s immigration ban, Starbucks CEO announces company will hire 10,000 refugees worldwide
Author: Phil Wahba, Fortune
"Starbucks Has a Response to President Trump's Immigration Ban: Hire 10,000 Refugees", 29 Jan 2017...
- Related stories: Positive action by companies to protect civic freedoms Trump's travel ban - how is business responding?
- Related in-depth areas: Positive initiatives by businesses to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Starbucks
Author: 20 Minutes et AFP (France)
« Décret anti-immigration: Starbucks, Uber et d'autes grandes entreprises américaines répondent à Trump », 30 janvier 2017...
Author: Duke Mwancha, AllAfrica
“Kenya: Climate Change - Migration for Asylum is a Human Right”, 7 Sept 2015...