Related stories and components
Somalia: Media houses call for accountability after recent attacks on journalists by govt. security agents
Author: Horn Observer (Somalia)
"Somali media fraternity condemns recent violations against media and journalists in Mogadishu and Beledhawo"...
Somalia: Call for regulation to ensure non-discrimination, consumer protection & 'responsible' operations in the growing mobile banking sector
Author: Addisfortune (Ethiopia)
"Mobile Banking Regulatory Gaps Must be Addressed"...
Fossil fuel companies get included in COVID-19 stimulus packages & are lobbying for suspension of environmental laws, as crack-down on activists & workers continues
Author: Open Democracy
"DemocracyWatch: journalists and dissidents arrested in COVID crackdowns", 22 Apr 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms
- Related companies: BP Royal Dutch Shell (Shell) Total
Somalia: Businesses fuelling insecurity by funding terrorism & promoting ethnic discrimination, claims columnist
Author: Osman Aidarus, MENAFN (Jordan)
"Chaos Profiteers: How Somalia's Business People are it's Main Nemesis?"...
Author: Christopher Knaus & Ben Doherty, The Guardian
"Australia sold weapons to Mali as UN warned violence creating 'humanitarian disaster'", 10 March 2020...
Somalia: Amnesty accuses Facebook of disabling journalists' accounts & compromising freedom of speech; Facebook comments
Amnesty International has claimed that Facebook's disabling of Somalia-based journalists' accounts compromises their freedom of expression. It has urged Facebook to ensure it is not manipulated by the Somalia authorities to undermine the right to...
Kenyan teachers allege poor working conditions & sexual harassment in Somalia's Elm Schools; includes school's comments
Author: Beatrice Kangai, Daily Nation (Kenya)
"Kenyan teachers allege exploitation in Somaliland", 28 October 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Human trafficking
Author: AFP, news24
"Facebook extends fact-checking programme to 10 new African states", 9 October 2019....
Somalia based telecom company allegedly financing terror group to destroy communication masts in Kenya to increase its market share
Author: Walter Menya, Daily Nation (Kenya)
"Somali telco behind mast attacks, report says"...
- Related in-depth areas: Complicity
Verisk Maplecroft's Human Rights Outlook 2019 says risks spread for businesses & civil society as more countries embrace authoritarian tactics
Author: Verisk Maplecroft
"‘Strongmen’ regimes lead charge against freedom of speech and privacy: Human Rights Outlook 2019", 07 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour Latest news on natural resources Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Yamana Gold