Related stories and components
Kenyan teachers allege poor working conditions & sexual harassment in Somalia's Elm Schools; includes school's comments
Author: Beatrice Kangai, Daily Nation (Kenya)
"Kenyan teachers allege exploitation in Somaliland", 28 October 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Human trafficking
Author: AFP, news24
"Facebook extends fact-checking programme to 10 new African states", 9 October 2019....
Somalia based telecom company allegedly financing terror group to destroy communication masts in Kenya to increase its market share
Author: Walter Menya, Daily Nation (Kenya)
"Somali telco behind mast attacks, report says"...
- Related in-depth areas: Complicity
Verisk Maplecroft's Human Rights Outlook 2019 says risks spread for businesses & civil society as more countries embrace authoritarian tactics
Author: Verisk Maplecroft
"‘Strongmen’ regimes lead charge against freedom of speech and privacy: Human Rights Outlook 2019", 07 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour Latest news on natural resources Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Yamana Gold
Author: Fred Oluoch, The EastAfrican (Kenya)
"Defiant Somalia puts contested oil block territory up for auction"...
Progress on child labour flatlining in world’s manufacturing hubs, according to 2019 Child Labour Index
Author: Verisk Maplecroft
Despite high levels of economic growth and improvements on poverty and education, progress on child labour has stalled in the manufacturing countries most entwined with global supply chains... [O]ur latest annual Child Labour Index... shows that...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights
Author: Rasna Warah, The Elephant(Kenya)
"Adding Fuel to Fire: Why Somalia’s Oil Could Prove to Be a Curse"...
Somalia: Local fishing communities say deal between govt. & Chinese Overseas Fisheries Association will compromise their livelihood
Author: Laura Angela Bagnetto, Radia France International
"Somalia: Chinese deal angers fishing communities, sparks concerns over sovereignty and piracy"...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Goldcorp Sumitomo Group
GNI report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
"Disconnected: A Human Rights-Based Approach to Network Disruptions," June 2018...
- Related stories: Internet shutdowns increasingly harm access to information, freedom of expression & economic growth
- Related in-depth areas: Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Alphabet Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Orange Twitter Whatsapp (part of Facebook)