Related stories and components
Africa: New gold refineries raise concerns of 'race to the bottom' on conflict minerals, safety and environmental practices
Author: David Lewis and Peter Hobson, Reuters
"Race to refine: the bid to clean up Africa's gold rush", 15 January 2020....
So. Africa: Court holds retail giant liable for recklessly lending to vulnerable consumers, includes company comments
Author: Katharine Child, Business Day (South Africa)
‘Shoprite fined R1m for reckless lending’ 14 January 2020...
- Related companies: Shoprite
So. Africa: Africa’s largest mobile operator & UK security company face allegations of supporting terrorist organizations
Author: Tanishaa Nadkar & Mfuneko Toyana, Reuters
‘MTN reviewing allegations after being named in U.S. complaint’...
So. Africa: Rio Tinto to restart mining operations after cutting back production over security concerns for its workers
Author: Reuters and Mining.com
"Rio Tinto to restart South African unit in 2020 after security scare", 30 December 2019....
New company survey & report urges European companies & states to step up efforts to identify & address risks to defenders
Human rights and environmental defenders play a key role in holding companies and states accountable for business-related human rights violations and environmental degradation. However, defenders are increasingly defamed, harassed and killed for...
Author: Greenpeace España
“Las heridas del carbón” 9 de diciembre de 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias sobre recursos naturales
- Related companies: Adaro Energy Anglo American Anglo American South Africa BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Colombia Natural Resources, CNR (part of Murray Energy) Drummond EDP (Energias de Portugal) Endesa (part of Enel) Enel Energias de Portugal (see EDP) Eskom Glencore Iberdrola Kuzbassrazrezugol Murray Energy Naturgy Prodeco (part of Glencore) Viesgo
So. Africa: Bodies of four miners killed in mine accident recovered as mine union demands an investigation
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) called on Monday for an investigation following the deaths of four miners at Tau Lekoa gold mine in South Africa's North West Province. The four miners were killed during a rock fall which was caused by an earth...
Author: Shain Germaner, Times Live (South Africa)
‘Rescuers in race against time to free trapped miners at Orkney mine’ 7 December 2019...
- Related stories: So. Africa: Bodies of four miners killed in mine accident recovered as mine union demands an investigation
- Related in-depth areas: Health & safety in the workplace
Author: Sinesipho Schrieber, The Citizen (South Africa)
‘Dept must act against coal mines polluting water – CER’ 4 December 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Natural Resources