Related stories and components
So. Africa: Community members allege Royal Bafokeng Platinum mine security killed man during protest over labour issues; company denies allegation
Author: Africa News Agency (South Africa)
"Man shot dead during protest at #RBPlat mine", 12 Jan 2018...
Author: Mining Weekly (South Africa)
"Mine fatalities in South Africa rise first time in decade", 8 Dec 2017...
So. Africa: Poultry producers concerned by reports of alleged forced labor in Brazil's meat & poultry industry; say dumped chicken imports adversely impacting the industry
Author: Karla Mendes, Thomson Reuters Foundation
"South Africa poultry group calls for probe of forced labor in Brazil", 11 Dec 2017...
So. Africa: Labour union members protest against alleged strip searching of female workers accused of theft by linen and textile companies in Durban
Author: Jackie Clausen, Times Live (South Africa)
"Cosatu members protest after Durban company strips female workers naked", 6 Dec 2017...
So. Africa: Lawyer representing 30 000 mineworkers in silicosis case says deal with mines most likely final by end of 2017
Author: Pete Lewis, GroundUp (South Africa)
"Silicosis: we’re close to a deal with the mines, says miners’ attorney", 11 Dec 2017...
- Related stories: Gold miner silicosis litigation (re So. Africa) So. Africa: Court allows silicosis & tuberculosis class action lawsuits against gold mining companies So. Africa: Gold mining companies to appeal silicosis & tuberculosis class action certification Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: African Rainbow Minerals Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Gold Fields Harmony Gold
Author: Ardea International
This report focuses on the jewellery sector. We have included eight of the major jewellers in the UK, namely the Signet Group (and the companies under its control, as listed in the table in this report), Tiffany & Co., Goldsmiths, Links, F. Hinds,...
- Related in-depth areas: Modern slavery
- Related companies: Boodle & Dunthorne Cartier (part of Richemont) De Beers Diarough Ernest Jones (part of Signet) Goldsmiths H.Samuel (part of Signet) Kay Jewelers (part of Signet) Leslie Davis (part of Signet) Newmont Richemont Rio Tinto Rosy Blue Signet Tiffany Zale (part of Signet)
New study examines patterns in the restriction of civil society's scope for action against resource exploitation
Resource and energy demand has increased over the last few decades, with more extraction and land use happening in more countries than ever before and citizens fighting for their rights and working to preserve their livelihoods. The authors of this...
In May 2017 Mineral Sands Resources (MSR), a subsidiary of Australian mining company Mineral Commodities Limited (MRC), filed a lawsuit against two attorneys from the Centre for Environmental Rights (CER) and a community activist. MSR are suing the...
So. Africa: Attorneys for environmental lawyers and activists raise constitutional defense in SLAPP suit, and experts join as friends of the court
Author: Centre for Environmental Rights (South Africa)
"CER Attorneys Raise Constitutional Defence in SLAPP Suit, and Experts Join as Friends of The Court", 20 Nov 2017...
- Related companies: Mineral Commodities (MRC)