South Sudan became independent of Sudan on 9 July 2011. For all materials about this territory before its independence, please see our section on Sudan.
Related stories and components
South Sudan: Govt. to assess pollution in oil-producing areas after concerns on its impact on livelihoods & health
Author: John Adukata, The EastAfrican (Kenya)
"South Sudan to assess pollution in oil-producing areas"...
Progress on child labour flatlining in world’s manufacturing hubs, according to 2019 Child Labour Index
Author: Verisk Maplecroft
Despite high levels of economic growth and improvements on poverty and education, progress on child labour has stalled in the manufacturing countries most entwined with global supply chains... [O]ur latest annual Child Labour Index... shows that...
Author: Al Jazeera
"Is oil money fuelling war in South Sudan?" 6 April 2019....
So. Sudan: IMF advises govt. to stop selling oil advances in loans with Chinese companies, says oil revenues should be used for peacebuilding
Author: Hereward Holland, BusinessDay
"IMF urges South Sudan to halt dubious oil-backed loans", 19 March 2019....
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Sumitomo Group
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Welcome to our Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin -- highlighting a specific topic each quarter, as well as key developments in corporate legal accountability......
- Related stories: Corporate Legal Accountability Bulletin: The Zero Draft Treaty on Business & Human Rights
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletins Latest news on natural resources Latest news on proposed binding treaty Natural Resources
- Related companies: African Rainbow Minerals Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Apple Appleby BHP Billiton CACI Cargill Drummond Energy Resources Capital Gold Fields Harmony Gold KiK Lundin Petroleum Nestlé Oxec (part of Energy Resources Capital) RWE Samsung Total Unilever Vale Vinci
- Related stories: Kenyan Banks allegedly "facilitating large scale pillage of South Sudan"; includes KCB's response, Equity Bank & Stanbic did not respond
- This is a non response from the following companies: Equity Bank
Kenya protesters allege Kenya Commercial Bank, Equity Bank and Stanbic complicit in South Sudan conflict
Author: APA (Senegal)
"Nairobi demo targets funders of S/Sudan conflict"...