Related stories and components
Author: Global Witness (United Kingdom)
In 2016, at least 200 land and environmental defenders were murdered – the deadliest year on record. Not only is this trend growing, it’s spreading – killings were dispersed across 24 countries, compared to 16 in 2015. With many killings unreported,...
- Related stories: New Global Witness report finds govts., businesses & investors are fueling violence against defenders, 200 of whom were killed in 2016
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Axis Bank BHP Billiton BNDES Coal India (CIL) Energy Transfer Partners Finnfund FMO Glencore Jindal Los Encinos San Miguel Corporation SOCO International South Eastern Coalfields Limited (part of Coal India Limited) Vedanta Resources Yes Bank
KiK signs "Accord on Building and Fire Safety"; new agreement to focus on strengthening labour rights & transparency in the textile chain
The textil discount KiK has signed the new edition of the "Accord" fire protection and building agreement in Bangladesh. The Westphalian company is therefore one of the first signatories to the new agreement, which will enter into force on 31 May 2018...
- Related stories: Companies & trade unions agree to renew Bangladesh Accord for Fire and Building Safety until 2021
- Related companies: KiK
Commentary: Civil society is increasingly using strategic litigation to address corporate human rights abuses
Author: Dr Carolijn Terwindt & Christian Schliemann, European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, in Civicus State of Civil Society Report 2017
"Transnational strategic litigation: an emerging part of civil society’s repertoire for corporate accountability", Jun 2017...
Author: Michel Van de Bel, Microsoft EMEA
"World Refugee Day: many small things make a big difference", 20 Jun 2017...
- Related stories: World Refugees' Day: Companies take actions in support of rights
- Related companies: Microsoft
Author: Elizabeth Summers, Bank Information Center
Shortly after commencing operations in January 2016, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) adopted environmental and social standards that committed to investing in sustainable infrastructure projects, including a pledge to support the human...
Author: Marina Fabre, Novethic (France) (copyright: www.novethic.fr)
« La France interdit un pesticide… Mais l'exporte vers des pays en développement », 29 mai 2017...
- Related companies: Syngenta
Ten labourers were gunned down in southwestern Pakistan on Saturday while working on link roads to connect outlying towns to the country's $57-billion Chinese "Belt and Road" initiative, security officials confirmed. The attack on the Pakistani...
Pakistan: Bank Information Center publishes report on social & environmental impacts of AIIB-funded Tarbela 5 hydropower extension
Author: Bank Information Center
"The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and the Tarbela 5 hydropower extension project, Pakistan", Apr 2017...
Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefing - Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This year’s Annual Briefing highlights the rising impunity of companies’ involvement in human rights abuse...Unscrupulous companies are increasingly targeting activists, using the justice system to hold them accountable, with repression and lawsuits. ...
- Related stories: New briefing on legal accountability: Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefings Latest Legal News
- Related companies: adidas Arcelor Mittal Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Chiquita ConocoPhillips DJ Houghton Dow Chemical Drummond Eternit (Switzerland) ExxonMobil Ford Kappes, Cassiday & Associates KiK Lafarge (part of LafargeHolcim) LafargeHolcim Lahmeyer Mineral Commodities (MRC) Natural Fruit Nestlé Nevsun RWE Shell Socfin Tiffany Titan Cement Trafigura Beheer Union Carbide (part of Dow) Villaggio Mall Vinci