Papua New Guinea
Related stories and components
Asia Pacific: NGOs call for international moratorium on deep sea polymetallic nodule mining without rigorous studies; fear irreversible damage to communities
A coalition of 80 non-governmental organisations are pushing for an international moratorium on deep sea mining following a report by the Deep Sea Mining Campaign and MiningWatch Canada, Predicting the impacts of mining deep sea polymetallic nodules in...
Author: Colin Filer, Jennifer Gabriel, & Matthew G. Allen, Devpolicy Blog
"How PNG lost US$120 million and the future of deep-sea mining", 28 April 2020...
Author: Kate Lyons, The Guardian
"Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds", 11 May 2020...
Author: Radio New Zealand
"Barrick says PNG govt's refusal of lease extension will be costly", 28 April 2020...
PNG: Renewal of Porgera gold mine lease rejected over environmental and social concerns; Zijin warns of damage to bilateral relations
“Zijin warns Papua New Guinea of China anger over end of gold mine lease”, 29 April 2020...
- Related stories: 巴布亚新几内亚：波格拉（Porgera）金矿开采租约延期申请因环境和社会影响被拒；紫金矿业发出警告，此举破坏中国和巴布亚新几内亚的双边关系
- Related in-depth areas: 中资企业海外投资
- Related companies: Barrick (Niugini) Limited Barrick Gold Zijin
Fossil fuel companies get included in COVID-19 stimulus packages & are lobbying for suspension of environmental laws, as crack-down on activists & workers continues
Author: Open Democracy
"DemocracyWatch: journalists and dissidents arrested in COVID crackdowns", 22 Apr 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms
- Related companies: BP Royal Dutch Shell (Shell) Total
Papua New Guinea: Campaigners step up activities to protect Sepik River from proposed Freida River Mine
Jubilee Australia, AID/WATCH and Project Sepik launched a joint campaign to protect the Sepik River from PanAust's proposed Freida River copper-gold mine. Save the Sepik, through an online petition, urges Papua New Guinea's Conservation and Environment...
Papua New Guinea: Mine project in Sepik threatens to destroy river systems & way of life, advocate says
Author: Power Equipment Australasia
"PNG villagers call for help", April 2020...
- Related stories: Papua New Guinea: Campaigners step up activities to protect Sepik River from dangers posed by proposed Freida River Mine
- Related companies: PanAust