Related stories and components
Author: Quintus Colombage, La Croix International, Sri Lanka
"No storm in a teacup for Sri Lanka's tea industry", 2 February 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Labour rights
Author: Daily FT, Sri Lanka
"Business and human rights – An imperative for Sri Lanka", 24 January 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Implementation of UN Guiding Principles: Governments National Action Plans Training
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Sumitomo Group
Author: Jake Johnson, Inequality.org
"157 of World’s 200 Richest Entities Are Corporations, Not Governments", 19 Oct 2018...
Author: Friends of the Earth Asia Pacific, The Diplomat
[This month] at the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, over 100 countries are negotiating a powerful new treaty that aims to create a binding instrument to hold transnational companies accountable for violations of human and environmental...
Author: Gulf Times
"Qatar’s first overseas visa centre set to open", 2 October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Labour rights and the Qatar World Cup 2022
Sri Lanka: Port City Colombo built by China Communications Construction Co. allegedly damages coastline and impact livelihoods of 80,000 households dependent on fishing
Author: Sheridan Prasso, Bloomberg Businessweek
"A Chinese Company Reshaping the World Leaves a Troubled Trail", 19 Sep 2018...
- Related stories: Sri Lanka: Major protests against new Chinese port and special economic zone
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
- Related companies: China Communications Construction Company Limited (CCCC)
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Author: Sheera Frenkel, The New York Times
Facebook... said... that it would begin removing misinformation that could lead to people being physically harmed. The policy expands Facebook’s rules about what type of false information it will remove, and is largely a response to episodes in Sri...
- Related stories: Facebook & Twitter allegedly taking insufficient action to stop spread of hate speech & incitement of violence through their platforms Myanmar: Human rights assessment of Facebook reveals company not doing enough to prevent violence Sri Lanka: Facebook used to fuel violence against Muslims; inc. company statement Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Facebook Instagram (part of Facebook) Whatsapp (part of Facebook)