Related stories and components
Thailand: Forced labour, trafficking, & worker abuse still rampant in fishing industry despite reform measures
In January 2018, Human Rights Watch released a report describing rights abuses and forced labor in Thailand's Fishing Industry. This story compiles commentaries and additional reports on this issue.
Thailand: Human Rights Watch urges EU to verify progress on fishing reforms before lifting yellow-card sanction
Author: Human Rights Watch
"Thailand: Labor Abuses Persist in Fishing Fleets," 15 July 2018...
Author: Petchtachat Arayasomboon, Bangkok Post
"In the fight against human trafficking a multi-sector approach is key", 3 July 2018...
Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin: The use of consumer protection laws for corporate accountability
Thailand: English translation of seminal judgement in favour of migrant worker & business and human rights defender Andy Hall which states work of defenders is in public interest
Author: Mr Witthaya Phromprasit, Ms Worajit Saengsook & Mr Natthaphong Thapananetiphong, The Southern Bangkok Criminal Court (Thailand)
"Judgement: Criminal Case Between Natural Fruit Company Ltd. (Plaintiff) Mr Andy Hall OR Mr Andrew Jonathan Hall (Defendant) Concerning: Defamation, violation of the Computer-Related Crimes Act", 31 May 2018...
- Related stories: Court finds Andy Hall guilty of defamation; activists say verdict a setback in the fight against modern-day slavery Natural Fruit Company lawsuits (re defamation suits against Andy Hall, Thailand)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Natural Fruit
Author: Radio Free Asia
"Pak Lay Dam to Displace Residents in More Than 20 Villages in Northwestern Laos", 21 June 2018...
Oxfam has assessed 16 large supermarkets across the US and Europe on their policies and practices in their food supply chains. Oxfam looked at the transparency of their supply chains, treatment of small-scale farmers and women workers in their supply...
Author: Oxfam International and the Sustainable Seafood Alliance Indonesia
... Our interviews with workers on Thai fishing vessels... suggest that forced labour and other appalling employment practices are still in use. Our findings echo those of other recent reports, meaning that supermarkets sourcing shrimp and other...
- Related stories: Oxfam scores US and European supermarkets on food supply chains
- Related in-depth areas: Maritime Industry and Human Rights: Fishing
- Related companies: Ahold Delhaize Albertsons Aldi Nord Aldi Süd Costco Edeka Group Jumbo Kroger Lidl Morrisons Plus REWE-Group Sainsbury's Tesco Walmart Whole Foods Market