Related stories and components
Author: Global Witness
The conviction for embezzlement of three senior executives of the former French state oil company, Elf, is a blow against corruption in the global oil industry..."If oil companies were required to publish all their payments to governments, and...
Author: Cécile Daumas, Libération
Elles ont entre 20 et 35 ans, ont généralement fait des études, et réclament le droit de travailler. Elles ont aussi rencontré l'islam, portent le foulard, se conformant à une lecture stricte du Coran...En 1989, la question du voile faisait son entrée...
- Related companies: Téléperformance
Author: edited by Rory Sullivan, Insight Investment, UK
"Business and Human Rights" provides an analysis of the relationship between companies and human rights in the context of globalisation. The analysis is in two parts. The first maps the reasons (financial, ethical, regulatory) why human rights have...
- Related stories: new book "Business and Human Rights: Dilemmas and Solutions" looks at how companies are responding to specific human rights issues
- Related companies: 3M ABB ABN Amro Acres International Aurora Gold Body Shop (part of L'Oréal) Cadbury Schweppes (now Cadbury) Chevron Co-operative Bank (part of Co-operative Group) Ecopetrol Enron ExxonMobil Gap Shell Unocal (part of Chevron)
Important new laws in Europe have been announced this week to address the current flawed and inadequate rules governing chemicals harmful to health and the environment. While the new laws represent a step forward, heavy chemical industry lobbying and...
- Related stories: Greenpeace: Industry lobbying weakens new EU laws on chemicals harmful to health & environment
- Related companies: Ecover Procter & Gamble
Industry leaders warned Wednesday that a new EU regulation on chemicals could prove financially ruinous and accused the European Commission of ignoring their concerns..."The challenge is always to strike a balance between protection of human health...
Author: Canadian Press
An environmental group plans to hold protests Tuesday at sites around the world operated by mining giant Inco Ltd. to call attention to what they say are the company's "inferior environmental practices."...A provincial Environment Ministry survey in...
- Related stories: Environmental protests against mining giant Inco at sites around the world
- Related companies: Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce)
Un an après l'ouverture d'une enquête sur des accusations de travail forcé en Birmanie lors de la construction d'un gazoduc au cours des années 1990, un ancien directeur [Hervé Madéo] de la filiale birmane du groupe Total a été entendu jeudi par un...
- Related stories: France: Ancien dirigeant de Total Birmanie devant la justice - accusations de travail forcé Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar)
- Related companies: Total
Author: World Bank
...the World Bank Group commissioned a study on barriers to the achievement of better social and environmental performance in suppliers, and also on the options that hold the greatest promise for overcoming those barriers...The study focuses attention...
- Related companies: IKEA