Related stories and components
Author: UN Women
“In 2030 we want to be able to talk about a world that has achieved gender equality” – UN Women Executive Director...
Strengthening the Business Case for Gender Equality, 400 CEOs Commit to Women’s Empowerment Principles
Author: UN Global Compact
Four hundred chief executives worldwide have publicly declared their commitment to implementing the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) over the last two years, as UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Michelle Bachelet, Executive Director of UN Women...
Migrants in the EU: One in three foreign-born persons aged 25 to 54 overqualified for their job: Compared with one person in five among the native-born
Over the years, migration has had an impact on the composition of European societies. In 2010, foreign-born persons accounted for 9.4% of the EU27 population. Their socio-economic situation was in general less favourable than for native-born persons.....
Author: UN Global Compact
As a global initiative with local signatories, Local Networks have positioned themselves as countrywide platforms that are locally owned and driven by business, yet oriented to the needs of a wide range of stakeholders. Grounded in the cultures and...
- Related in-depth areas: Business tools and guidance
Author: Ben Shore, BBC
To think of maternity leave as a straightforward benefit to a new mum is wrong. European policy makers need to balance not just their desire to provide security for mothers, and to ensure they do not damage their careers, but also how far to encourage...
- Related in-depth areas: Key reports
The parents of an Icelandic child suffering from leukaemia are investigating their legal rights in preparation for a lawsuit against a power company which they blame for their five year-old daughter’s illness. The parents want to sue Reykjavik Energy...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
Vedanta Resources…has come under international scrutiny for its plans for a bauxite mine and the expansion of its Lanjigarh alumina refinery…The UN protect, respect and remedy framework makes clear that companies have the responsibility to respect...
- Related stories: EIRIS publishes best practice recommendations for Vedanta to address investor concerns over alleged human rights impacts in India Protest at Vedanta annual meeting against plan to mine India hills allegedly sacred to indigenous tribe - firm says tribe supports mine
- Related in-depth areas: Business tools and guidance Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: Alcoa Anglo American Bharat Aluminium (part of Vedanta Resources) BHP Billiton BP PGGM Rio Tinto
Author: Fiona Harvey & Clive Cookson, Financial Times
The long-term effects of the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico are likely to be small, a group of leading scientists said yesterday, but some of the clean-up methods may be doing more harm than good. Their views contradicted those of the White House,...
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast
- Related companies: BP