Related stories and components
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Sumitomo Group
Author: Stephanie Morton, ClientEarth, on China Dialogue
"How 'attribution science' is shifting the legal landscape", 12 Dec 2018...
Netherlands: Rail co. NS to compensate Holocaust survivors & their relatives over its role in deportation of Jews during WWII
Author: BBC News
"Holocaust: Dutch rail firm NS to pay families compensation", 28 Nov 2018 ...
Fundamental Rights Agency finds that civil society in EU is facing increasing challenges & explores role of business
The European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) report from January 2018 looked into the different types and patterns of challenges that civil society organizations working on human rights face in the European Union. In September 2018, FRA...
Commentary: European Parliamentarians want to move on human rights due diligence legislation, says ECCJ
Author: European Coalition for Corporate Justice
ECCJ [...] spoke to the Belgian federal parliament’s intergroup on Fair Trade at its annual meeting on 20 November 2018... The intergroup's members expressed interest in further discussions on possible human rights due diligence rules for Belgium.....
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights due diligence
Criminal complaint against Dutch ship-building firm for allegedly profiting from forced labour of N. Korean worker
"Shell has responded to the UCS request for information, and in keeping with their request for publicly accessible information, we directed them to a link to our public website that covers the topics in their questionnaire, including our Greenhouse gas...
- Related stories: Climate Accountability Scorecard: Assessment finds 8 major fossil fuel companies fail to adequately plan for low-carbon world
- Related in-depth areas: Climate change Introduction: Links between climate change & human rights
- This is a response from the following companies: Shell
Canada: Parliamentary report requests Govt. develop legislation that motivates business to eliminate child & forced labour
In November and December 2017, the Subcommittee on International Human Rights of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development undertook a study on child labour in supply chains. The Subcommittee received...
Unions to file OECD complaint with Dutch NCP against IKEA for allegedly undermining workers' right to organise in the US, Ireland & Portugal; incl. co comments
"Unions accuse IKEA of undermining workers' rights in three markets", 27 September 2018...