Related stories and components
Author: Löning - Human Rights & Responsible Business
Today, there are 40.3 million people in 167 countries affected... [W]omen and children are the most vulnerable... [T]wo thirds of the affected people live in Asia... [M]odern slavery risks have also risen throughout Europe... A key factor contributi...
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Global Network Initiative report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
Since 2011, network disruptions and large-scale network shutdowns have become a widespread tool of information control. Governments in at least four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America) have shut down connectivity or social media... ...
Uzbekistan: Govt lifts terms of probation for human rights defender monitoring forced labor in cotton fields, urged by activists to drop charges against other HRDs
Author: The Cotton Campaign
The Cotton Campaign welcomes the decision of a court in Uzbekistan to lift the terms of probation for human rights defender Uktam Pardaev 10 months early. Pardaev was arrested on November 16, 2015, following his reporting on forced labor during the...
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders
...[A]n expulsion order against Journalist Khudoberdi Nurmatov was overturned, opening the way for him to leave the immigration detention facility where he has been held since August 2017...The European Court of Human Rights issued a temporary...
- Related stories: Russia: Court overrules expulsion order to Uzbekistan of defender & journalist reporting on migrants’ rights
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders Latest news on human rights defenders
В Казахстане на трассе Шымкент—Самара 18 января загорелся автобус; 52 человека погибли, спаслись только пятеро. Автобус марки Setra...следовал из граничащей с Узбекистаном Южно-Казахстанской области...в российскую Самару (по другим данным, в Казань)....