Related stories and components
Author: Liz Ford, The Guardian (UK)
"Women's rights take centre stage as murdered activists are remembered", 29 Nov 2018...
- Related stories: Women human rights defenders' day 2018: Rise in killings & calls for a stronger response by govts. & cos.
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Women human rights defenders
GNI report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
"Disconnected: A Human Rights-Based Approach to Network Disruptions," June 2018...
- Related stories: Internet shutdowns harm access to information, freedom of expression & economic growth
- Related in-depth areas: Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Alphabet Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Orange Twitter Whatsapp (part of Facebook)
Author: CIVICUS (South Africa)
"CIVICUS: State of Civil Society Report 2018 - Year in Review: Top 10 trends", 06 Mar 2018...
USA: Court rules case against security contractor CACI for torture claims at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq can proceed
Author: Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR)
"Private Corporation May be Sued for Role in Abu Ghraib Torture, Judge Rule, Judge Rules", 21 Feb 2018...
Front Line Defenders report highlights killings of 312 human rights defenders in 2017, underlining the role of business
Author: Front Line Defenders (Ireland)
"Annual Report on Human Rights Defenders at Risk 2017", 3 Jan 2018...
Recent lawsuits contribute to emerging norm of corporate accountability for international crimes, says scholar
Author: Dieneke de Vos, on Just Security
" Corporate Criminal Accountability for International Crimes ", 30 Nov 2017...
New report calls on internet cos. to do more to fight terrorist incitement & disinformation in line with responsibility to uphold human rights
Author: NYU Stern Center for Business and Human Rights & World Economic Forum
"Harmful Content: The Role of Internet Platform Companies in Fighting Terrorist Incitement and Politically Motivated Disinformation", Nov 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Alphabet AT&T Bing (part of Microsoft) Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Jigsaw (part of Robinson Webster Holdings) Johnson & Johnson LinkedIn (part of Microsoft) Microsoft PepsiCo Robinson Webster Signal International Skype (part of Microsoft) Telegram Messenger Twitter Walmart Whatsapp (part of Facebook) YouTube (part of Alphabet)
Global businesses can achieve social impact, better reputation & increase brand loyalty by including refugees, says report
Author: Cindy Huang et al., Center for Global Development (CGD)
"Global Business and Refugee Crises: A Framework for Sustainable Engagement," September 2017...
US judge says lawsuit against CACI over alleged inhuman treatment of ex-Abu Ghraib prisoners in Iraq can proceed