Construction in Qatar Project: see our outreach to construction companies on working conditions & their responses.
Related stories and components
Author: FIFA Human Rights Advisory Board
Middle East & North Africa: Telecommunication cos. Ooredoo & Etisalat backslide in Ranking Digital Rights benchmark
Author: Afef Abrougui, Ranking Digital Rights
"Arab region’s telecommunications companies fail to respect users’ digital rights", 12 Jun 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: América Movil Apple AT&T Axiata Baidu Bharti Airtel Deutsche Telekom Etisalat Facebook Kakao Corp Mail.ru Microsoft MTN Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) Ooredoo Orange Samsung Telefónica Telenor Tencent Twitter Vodafone Yandex
Qatar: Public sector institutions pledge to support fair recruitment of migrant workers through procurement procedures
"Public sector clients pledge action to foster fair recruitment", 21 May 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news & company responses: Migrant workers in Qatar & the UAE
- Related companies: Manateq Qatar Museums Qatar Rail
Author: حسام وهب الله, الوطن
''العامل الوافد يحيا حياة كريمة في قطر"، 13 ماي 2019...
- Related companies: Vinci
FIFA to hold talks with human rights groups on risks associated with possible 2022 World Cup expansion
Author: Rob Harris, AP news
“FIFA to hold human rights talks on 2022 World Cup expansion”, 27th April 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Labour rights and the Qatar World Cup 2022 Latest news & company responses: Migrant workers in Qatar & the UAE
- Related companies: FIFA
Nepal: Nepali embassy in Qatar repatriates workers lured to the country by fraudulent visa schemes and recruitment agents
The Nepal embassy in Qatar has received a significant number of migrant workers asking to be repatriated. The workers were lured Qatar with false promises of free movement between jobs and made to pay "hefty amounts" in recruitment fees. It is alleged...
Annual External Compliance Report of the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy's Workers' Welfare Standards
Author: Impactt Limited (UK)
The average overall initial audit compliance rate across the 24 contractors audited in 2018 was 75%. By the time of the follow-up audits, scores increased to 89% overall. During initial audits, average compliance was high in the areas of personal...
VINCI publishes results of first on-site audit of operations in Qatar by Building & Wood Workers' International
The global union federation BWI (Building and Wood Workers' International) undertook the first on-site audit of Vinci's operations in Qatar in January 2019. The audit follows a complaint filed by Sherpa and six migrant workers against Vinci in November...