Research and Projects Trainee
Business and Human Rights Resource Centre
- Location: London (remote work can be considered)
- Salary: £19,201 p/a pro-rata (London Living Wage), plus 5% employee matched pension
- Contract Type: One-year contract
- Closing Date: 06/08/2020
The Business & Human Rights Resource Centre seeks an enthusiastic, reliable, well-organized individual to support its work to advance human rights in business and to help enhance the impact, effectiveness, and efficiency of our Weekly Update. We are looking for someone to join us on 2 days/week (Monday and Tuesday) basis to help us with first draft of our weekly newsletter and who is available to join us from August or beginning on September.
Founded in 2002, the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre is the main global source of information on business and human rights, enabling us to play a vital role in shaping and driving forward this important field of human rights work. We are the only non-profit drawing attention to the social and environmental impacts of over 10,000 companies worldwide, in eight languages, promoting corporate accountability and transparency. Our website is relied on by business, advocates, investors and the UN, and we provide guidance materials and examples of good practice, to help companies understand their human rights responsibilities. The Centre is a non-profit organization, and does not accept funding from companies. Further details about the Centre are on our website.
We are 61 staff and consultants dedicated to advancing human rights in business and eradicating abuse. We maintain expert knowledge of local contexts through 17 Regional Researchers based in Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Philippines, Senegal, South Africa, Tunisia, Ukraine and the United States, with offices in London, New York, Bogotá, Berlin, and Washington DC. The Resource Centre’s leadership consists of an international Boards of Trustees comprised of 12 individuals with extensive experience working in the human rights, development and environmental fields.
Our Weekly Update e-newsletter email goes out to more than 20,000 subscribers around the world, including human rights advocates, activists, businesspeople, governments, investors and the UN. We have issued Weekly Updates continuously since 2005 and it’s now established as the leading business and human rights newsletter globally. It alerts readers to the top stories and breaking regional news about business & human rights, plus relevant announcements, events and jobs. It highlights positive initiatives and draws attention to alleged abuses.
Please follow Link to Job, download and fill application form and apply via Apply button. Note that we cannot accept CVs.
Next: If shortlisted, we will invite you for an interview and a written test.
Your areas of work
Working with our research staff you will:
- Draft the Weekly Update on MailChimp, including: being in contact with our researchers around the world to gather the top stories every week; identifying and prioritizing important stories; making editorial decisions about content; formatting and designing the Update for ease of readability, including drafting and proofreading; checking links to make sure they work, and tracking content over time to ensure broad and representative coverage.
- Imputing / posting job and events announcements on our website.
- Post articles concerning business and human rights issues on our website to create content for our Weekly Update.
- Assisting with issue-based research as and when necessary and workload allows.
- Passionate about human rights with an interest in business and human rights
- Excellent research, writing, and communications skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Reliable and hard-working
- Ability to undertake own initiative, and work independently within agreed framework and to complete time-sensitive daily activities, as well as work collaboratively in a team
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Outlook and online research
- Fluent in English reading/writing/speaking
- Experience with working on websites (familiarity with Mailchimp is a plus)
- Experience editing written publications, ideally online
- Experience working on human rights at another organization
- Fluent or strong abilities in a second language
Conflict of interest policy:
No activities or membership/affiliation with organizations in conflict with the aims & objectives of the Resource Centre or which may jeopardize its image, impartiality & independence.