River Island (part of Lewis Trust)
Headquarters in United Kingdom
River Island website: www.riverisland.com
UK: Labour exploitation widespread in Leicester garment factories supplying to high-street & online retailers, reports Financial Times
Author: Sarah O’Connor, Financial Times
"Dark factories: labour exploitation in Britain’s garment industry", 17 May 2018...
Business human rights responsibility for refugees & migrant workers: Turning policies into practice in the Middle East
Author: Samentha Goethals, Joseph Bardwell, Mariam Bhacker, & Bahaa Ezzelarab, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre in Business & Human Rights Journal
...Our focus in this piece is to consider how companies have been implementing their human rights responsibility to address the risks and challenges faced by refugees and migrant workers in the Middle East, a region that is currently experiencing...
- Related stories: Business & Human Rights Journal (July 2017)
- Related in-depth areas: Construction firms & migrant workers in Qatar and UAE Syrian refugees: Abuse & exploitation in Turkish garment factories
- Related companies: Al Balagh Trading & Contracting Al Jaber Group Arcadia Group ASOS Associated British Foods BAM International (part of Royal BAM) Burberry C&A Esprit FIFA Gap Gerry Weber H&M HBK Contracting Company Inditex J&P Avax SA J.C. Penney Joannou & Paraskevaides (Overseas) KiK Larsen & Toubro LC Waikiki Lidl Liz Claiborne (part of J.C. Penney) Mexx (part of RNF Holding) Midmac Mothercare New Look New Yorker Next OHL Otto Porr Primark (part of Associated British Foods) River Island (part of Lewis Trust) Royal BAM s.Oliver Sainsbury's SuperGroup Tchibo Tesco VF Corp Walmart White Stuff
- Related stories: Responses by garment brands to our questionnaire on the treatment of Syrian refugees in Turkish supplier factories
- This is a non response from the following companies: River Island (part of Lewis Trust)
Author: Simon Neville, Guardian [UK]
Walmart has confirmed it will not sign up to a legally binding agreement on worker safety and building regulations in Bangladesh…[T]he…retail giant has created its own agreement, which it claims goes beyond the current accord…The company…said the deal...
- Related companies: Aldi Nord Aldi Süd Arcadia Group ASDA (part of Walmart) Associated British Foods Benetton BHS C&A Calvin Klein (part of PVH) Carrefour El Corte Inglés G-Star H&M Helly Hansen Inditex John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) KiK Loblaw Companies Mango Marks & Spencer Matalan Mothercare New Look Next Peacocks (part of EWM Group) Primark (part of Associated British Foods) PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) River Island (part of Lewis Trust) Sainsbury's Tchibo Tesco Tommy Hilfiger (part of PVH) Walmart Zara (part of Inditex)
Author: Bryony Moore, Ethical Consumer
Campaigners have been battling for an ethical fashion industry ever since the first sweatshop scandals broke back in the 1990s.Even now, Ethical Consumer magazine's latest buyers' guide reveals that a sweat-free high street is still a long way off....
As London Fashion Week drew to a close yesterday…campaigners said that overseas garment workers are exploited to produce clothes for British high street stores. The anti-poverty charity, War on Want, has emphasised the message throughout the Week…...
Author: Huma Qureshi & Rebecca Smithers, Guardian [UK]
...The report, “Let's Clean Up Fashion: the State of Pay Behind the UK High Street”, published by sweatshop campaigning group Labour Behind the Label, criticised UK retailers for having "no coherent strategy" to ensure hundreds of thousands of workers...
- Related stories: Labour Behind the Label report says high street retailers in UK failing to ensure living wage for workers in Asia
- Related companies: ASDA (part of Walmart) BHS Bonmarché (part of Sun Capital Partners) Burberry Clarks Debenhams Ethel Austin French Connection Gap House of Fraser John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) Laura Ashley Levi Strauss Marks & Spencer Matalan Monsoon Accessorize New Look Next Peacocks (part of EWM Group) Primark (part of Associated British Foods) River Island (part of Lewis Trust) Sainsbury's Tesco Topshop (part of Arcadia)