Palm trees & oil
Related stories and components
Human Rights Watch director says baseless lawsuits by cos. are a growing global trend to stop environmental activists
Author: Marcos Orellana, Environment and human rights director, Human Rights Watch
"Green activists are fighting the great fight—but are being dragged down by petty lawsuits | opinion", 07 May 2019...
Guatemala: Indigenous land defender, accused of inciting community members to set fire to palm oil crop, is acquitted of all charges
Author: Rabble (Canada)
“Indigenous land defender freed by court after two years in prison”, 28th April 2019...
- Related companies: Compañía Guatemalteca de Níquel (CGN) (part of Solway Group)
Liberia: Lawyer forced into exile after fighting palm oil industry receives Goldman Environmental Prize
Author: Abdi Latif Dahir, Quartz Africa
"How challenging the powerful global palm oil industry forced a Liberian lawyer into exile", 29 April 2019....
- Related stories: Liberia: Global Witness report alleges intimidation, violent abuse of communities opposed to Golden Veroleum's encroachment on their lands Liberia: Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil hands down decision relating to community complaints against Golden Veroleum
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources
- Related companies: Golden Agri-Resources Golden Veroleum Liberia
Activists awarded Goldman Environmental prize for their work challenging irresponsible business practices
Author: The Goldman Environmental Foundation
"Introducing the 2019 Goldman Environmental Prize Winners", 29 Apr 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Sierra Leone: Report alleges Socfin's operations exposing local communities to human rights violations including loss of livelihood & pollution; company denies allegations
A report by FIAN Belgium titled "Land Grabbing for Palm Oil in Sierra Leone : Analysis of the Socfin Case from a Human Rights Perspective" alleges that since the arrival of Socfin in 2011 as part of a large-scale investment in palm oil in the Southern...
We invited Halcyon Agri Corp to respond to Norway's Government Pension Fund Global recent divestment of its investment from the company. Halcyon Agri Corp did not respond.
- Related stories: Norway's government pension fund announces risk-based divestments; companies invited to respond
- This is a non response from the following companies: Halcyon Agri
Norway's Government Pension Fund Global recently divested its investment from some companies on the basis that they "impose substantial costs on other companies and society as a whole and so are not long-term sustainable."...