Explore categories within this category
Related stories and components
Philippines: Alarming number of fatal attacks against environmental defenders related to agribusiness, mining & logging
The new Global Witness report denounces that in 2018, 30 land and environmental defenders were killed in the Philippines, making it the country with the highest number of such killings in the world. Their new investigation shows that mining,...
Author: Global Witness
Violence against land and environmental defenders is a systemic problem, spanning many different regions of the country and many different industries, and the army uses force to silence activism. 52 defenders have been killed extra-judicially in the...
- Related stories: Philippines: Alarming number of fatal attacks against environmental defenders related to agribusiness, mining & logging
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Women human rights defenders
- Related companies: Del Monte Foods Dole Philippines (see Dolefil) Itochu JPMorgan Chase San Miguel Corporation Standard Chartered
Commentary: Alleged rape on MSC Divina ship highlights need for clear understanding of flag State responsibilities at sea
Author: Human Rights at Sea
"Rape at Sea, Flag State jurisdiction and the Search for Justice", 15 April 2019...
Author: Rossalyn Warren, The Guardian
"Hotels at centre of rape allegations promoted on TripAdvisor," 5 March 2019...
Accommodation-sharing company Airbnb has announced it will backtrack on a plan to remove Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank from its rental listings....
Commentary: Global Business Coalition Against Human Trafficking focuses on survivor employment & support for SMEs
Author: Mark P. Lagon, Global Business Coalition Against Human Trafficking
"Undoing slavery: business coalition tackles unmet needs," 17 May 2018...
USA: Companies pull advertisements from Fox News television host Laura Ingraham's program after she insulted Parkland school shooting survivor
Author: Kevin Breuninger, CNBC
"Advertisers - including TripAdvisor, Nestle, Wayfair and Hulu - are dumping Laura Ingraham after she slammed Parkland survivor," 29 March 2018...
Cambodia: Apparel groups warn restrictions on freedom of association will make Cambodia unattractive & expensive place to do business
Author: Daphne Chen, The Phnom Penh Post (Cambodia)
"Apparel groups including H&M and Gap urge Cambodia garment industry reform, seek meeting with Hun Sen", 21 Mar 2018...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Apparel brands stand up for human rights defenders, civic freedoms & urge garment industry reform
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: ASOS Gap H&M